Yet another…’what have you been listening today?’ Thread

Iron Bru Forums Non Football Yet another…’what have you been listening today?’ Thread

• Author
    SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 72

Brings me back to the time I lived with one of the members of this band. Strange bloke, from Middlesbrough originally. I remember having discussions about voting and him saying how it was futile, so he never voted. After the EU referendum he messaged me to say I was right and he regrets not being able to vote remain, but would now do so.

My down to Earth friend I lived with didn’t like him, but (to be fair) my friend is a coeliac and the musician kept using his butter and contaminating it with bread crumbs and stealing tea bags. I found the musician amusing. He founded a hash brown appreciation society on Facebook and my favourite story is when I was washing up and he came into the kitchen asking me if he ever told me of the time he travelled back in time to Victorian London. Apparently he came out of Oxford Street M & S and transported to 19th century London where there were horses and carriages and a woman in rags saying “you’re not from around here.” He then transported back to real time. I was sceptical, but he assured me it was true and told me to research time slips, as they are definitely real and others have gone through them. I am not convinced, but I liked the eccentricity. He was the ultimate ‘hipster’ musician. Went to watch a Mongolian throat singing act one day too.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 88

I actually like that track. Reminds a bit of Slint, Mogwai or something along those lines. I assume you’re saying you once lived with a chap from this band and not Ruts Siderite?

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Interesting anecdote btw. People like that can be entertaining but also a feckin pain on the neck to live with. Had my share of those in my younger days. Really couldn’t be arsed now I’m much older though. The quiet life and relative normality for me these days.

May have mentioned in the past I once lived in the same house as the drummer in this video for a short while. Luckily it was a house of bedsits so it was possible to lock the door when necessary, apart from one time he was hiding in my room from his bat shit crazy girlfriend and when she came looking for him she forced the door open and bedlam ensued. He was a nice guy himself, but his glory days were well over by then and he was a chronic alcoholic (died a few years later about 50 years old as I recall). He was a talented drummer though with some mad stories…

Edit: just checked, only 40 when he died. Looked older tbh. Sad demise and end. What a waste.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

I actually like that track. Reminds a bit of Slint, Mogwai or something along those lines. I assume you’re saying you once lived with a chap from this band and not Ruts Siderite?

Yes, I lived with one of the band members, when he seemingly wasn’t in a slippage of time. Lost touch since he messaged me to say he wished he had voted in the EU referendum, and I wonder how he’s doing now. He was used to communal living with other band members and couldn’t seem to understand that not everyone wanted their food shared, especially for those with eating issues, but was harmless really. I suspect living with him for more than a year would have eventually got a bit frustrating.

Unfortunately, drugs and mental health can take their toll on musicians and their life expectancy is lower than other professions. This Youtube documentary goes into it a bit:

Deereyme66Deereyme66

I’ll take a look at that at some point. I think if you’ve been famous / led the high life in cultural circles, particularly during the rock n roll excesses of the 70s, it must be mentally challenging to adjust to an average life with no celebrity status and dwindling cash, unless you have a focus on the next stage off your life (bit like planning for retirement, so I hear). Gazza, for instance, clearly had no plan post football. On the subject of music and 70s excess, I would highly recommend the doc ‘Squaring the Circle’ about the history of record sleeve designers Hipgnosis. Fascinating, whether you like the music and artwork or not. On Netflix or NOW / Sky.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

I think excessive work load is a reason some of the rock musicians go down the drug route, I remember a few years back Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top saying they did around 320 live gigs a year, that’s a huge amount of touring and work load IMO. Bearing in mind when not touring most bands are practising new material or working on another album, the price of fame sometimes comes with a heavy loss because of the drug culture involved.

GurnelistaGurnelista
    Participant
    Registered On: April 2, 2014

Aye, and the risks are much better understood these days.
    Now, laid back, late night jazz rock, anyone? Perhaps when entertaining a lady – nudge, nudge… not necessarily a Barbie or Britney, Monroe or Madonna, but more a Joss Stone or 1970s Stevie Nicks.

HeathHeath
    Participant
    Registered On: August 5, 2017
    Topics: 17

“Went to watch a Mongolian throat singing act one day too”.

Nowt wrong with that.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Inspired by talk of ‘Il Duce’, this 80s electro masterpiece…

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66

If memory serves, produced by the legendary Conny Plank who produced a lot of ‘Krautrock’ including early Kraftwerk. Or they worked with him on some recordings, if not this one.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

GurnelistaGurnelista
    Participant
    Registered On: April 2, 2014

Talking as we were of female musicians recently, here’s a rather good young ‘un, the multi-talented Mademoiselle Cox – with a great rendition of All Right Now, or Ça Va if you prefer, as she’s French, see.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Deereyme66Deereyme66

My mate’s band – reworking of an old track of theirs with a decent video

Deereyme66Deereyme66

30 years ago, there or thereabouts. Blimey.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Deereyme66Deereyme66

high scores have the right to..

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

Finally a remaster of the ridiculously clipped Iggy mix, but with the bass that the Bowie mix lacks.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

A classic for dJ sets. RIP

dandaherron@yahoo.co.ukJust Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: August 1, 2014
    Topics: 8

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 64

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Listened to this twice today. Aged well. Still as bold and beautiful as it was almost 25 years ago…

Deereyme66Deereyme66

I miss Cathal Coughlan, and Terry Hall. It’s in the post chaps. Whadya gonna do?

Deereyme66Deereyme66

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017

I’m guessing you know only a few copies of Freewheelin’ were released with that track on Siderite? Anyhow my copy unfortunately does not have it on as the original set list of songs were reconfigured due to CBS executives getting cold feet the track could upset the USA hierarchy at the time ( remember it was recorded mid 1962 ) Bob being a young relatively unknown artist at the time had little say in the matter although he changed four songs in total which allowed him to include ones he wrote in late 1962 early 1963 the year of the albums official release, which he preferred
    anyway. Owning one of the early copies with Talking John Birch Society Blues on is now valued between £15,000 to £20,000, nice little earner if you own one.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.