Up the Swanee

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Up the Swanee

• Author
    ironkingironking
    Participant
    Registered On: October 8, 2014
    Topics: 69

No ground, no new owner and a chairman that wants out.

Dear old Peter you may be trying your best to tide us over the close season and maybe you will have to financially provide funds for the Iron to play next season, if at all?

That is commendable but what you are forgetting Peter you and you alone made the decisions which put us into this mess in the first place. Racking up an 11 million debt and spending circa 20 million of your money, before deciding to get out.

Yes you say the club is debt free and solvent and you will pay the EFL loan off. All very commendable but it was your decision to borrow the money in the first place. You also borrowed the money without knowing the repayment terms.

As supporters you ask us to turn up each week and pay our hard earned cash into the club, through the turnstiles, food/drink sales or club shop. In return we have had to endure absolute pleasureless drivel of the highest order and most pathetic football I have ever seen in my entire life with statistics more befitting of an U 11 team playing against U 16s than a so called professional adult team in the best football league in the world.

Now it is emerging that the senior players may not have been as professional as one would wish. No worries there Peter, they were to a man not very good at all managed by a very poor manager and then an even worse one.

All this on your watch Peter without help from anyone.

Your response having taken the ground after promising to give it back, you have now borrowed money against it and say it is nothing to do with Scunthorpe United FC. Well it is Peter, it is the ground which belongeth to Scunthorpe United which you took in payment for your decisions and spending over your tenure.

Not my decision or any other supporter you, yes you Peter. So whilst you try your hardest to get us out of the mire, you must admit and accept you placed us in it in the first place.

What irks us the most Peter is you have done all this by yourself, won’t admit it and blame anyone but yourself, and don’t want to be held to account.

So here we sit pondering a future with or without you. Pondering whether we will ever see League football ever again. Pondering whether we will have a ground to play in. Wondering when an housing estate will pop up on Glanford Park. Wondering if the latest euro-millions winner is a fellow Iron.

Pondering whether rising living costs on fuel, food and heating, national insurance and council tax will swallow up our lessening disposable income. Wondering whether a £200 to £300 investment in a season ticket is a) affordable b) going to provide some football or c) squandered by yourself again.

It’s dire straits Peter and you won’t be getting my money for nothing.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 11

Your money goes towards paying players wages. If you don’t pay your money we will keep on sliding down the leagues.

Your choice, but Newcastle fans had the right idea, never deserted their TEAM/CLUB irregardless of their feelings towards the owners.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    ironkingironking
    Participant
    Registered On: October 8, 2014
    Topics: 69

I think they were allowed to demonstrate against the regime and can’t remember their fans being cuffed or parva sprayed.

Oh and the City council owns the freehold on ST James Park.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

I don’t remember them trying to invade the pitch or assault security staff either. What’s your point?

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 63

What’s got an IQ of 55,000?

St James Park on match day!

3 users thanked author for this post.
    BottesfordIrons5North Lincolnshire Irons
    Participant
    Registered On: September 30, 2017
    Topics: 58

The point is uptheiron99 where our Club is now is SWANNS doing and his alone. If he stays we will drop further down the leagues and season ticket holders renewing won’t make a blind bit of difference whilst he still owns the club and assets. At the forum the fans director said he had spoken to SWANN about a week ago and he said he will consider changing the name of the stadium back to Glanford Park, which means he most probly won’t. The fans director also said at some point SWANB will give back the stadium and assets to the club. He means he will try to sell it for an inflated and ridiculous amount to new owners. That is not GIVING it back, that is SELLING it. We learned nothing at the forum that we didn’t already know. A complete waste of time attending.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

The facts are if income is down, due to people having the illogical idea that staying away will help, then the playing budget will be cut even further resulting in further struggles for the team.

All I keep seeing is Swann this, Swann that without any thought given to actually supporting the TEAM on a matchday.

People are cutting off their nose to spite their face.

f row crewf row crew
    Participant
    Registered On: June 22, 2020
    Topics: 18

Well one things for sure, we won’t have more season ticket holders next year than this year, so that means the budget will be lower than this year, which means another season of shite football, watching kids trying to play a man’s game with zero entertainment.

All the time Swann is happy to stand back and watch it happen, with no attempt to even try to rectify the damage he has caused.

Not enough to tempt me into renewing…and I don’t see finding better things to do than watch that tripe every Saturday as cutting my nose off to spite my face either.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 100

I have backed Peter Swann for a long while, but the way he has run this club over the last 4 seasons has been poor and the last 2 seasons totally unacceptable, the sooner he leaves now the better for him, the club and the supporters.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 85

The facts are if income is down, due to people having the illogical idea that staying away will help, then the playing budget will be cut even further resulting in further struggles for the team.
    All I keep seeing is Swann this, Swann that without any thought given to actually supporting the TEAM on a matchday.
    People are cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Perhaps he could set an example by supporting what is still HIS TEAM on a matchday. Asking people to do what he can’t be a***d to do seems a touch hypocritical to say the least.

BottesfordIrons5North Lincolnshire Irons
    Participant
    Registered On: September 30, 2017
    Topics: 58

We as season ticket holders have been supporting our team all season and look where that has taken us. We have supported our club for the last 65 years. Then a fly-by-night family come in, SWANN & Co. and take us out of the football league. Particularly over the last two seasons they have dessimated our playing squad and taken our stadium and assets and he couldn’t even be bothered to attend matches. Absolutely disgusting, devastating diabolical, words cannot express the contempt which fans now have for the SWANNS!

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

Just as a matter of interest UTI99, do you know if The Swanns eat in the restaurant at GP or wear replica shirts at all? Two other things they ask fans to do to support THEIR club.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

I’m not bothered about what the Swanns do or don’t do.

I’m bothered about what me, you and every other fan can do to help!

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

You probably should be ‘bothered’ about the example set and actions taken by the owner of the club you support. Just my opinion of course.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

It’s beyond mine and yours control though.

All we can do is support the team until Swann finds a buyer.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

I’m not asking for control, I’m suggesting he sets the standard. It’s a bit like Boris – you lot are in lockdown but the government is partying. Maybe if Swann showed more interest then some fans would too.

waltersleftfootwaltersleftfoot
    Participant
    Registered On: May 25, 2017
    Topics: 6

Won’t be renewing my ticket till I have a stone wall gaurantee that we will start nrxt season as sufc at glandford park,had a sesson ticket for 30 odd years but I want some honesty and clarity,like most supporters do,just an opinion

IronaweIronawe
    Participant
    Registered On: December 31, 2013
    Topics: 36

Season ticket money goes straight to Will Swann and then to the players,
    90 in fact over the last 3 seasons. I think season ticket money should be given to somebody who knows what he is doing. i don’t take Swann’s word for anything and the rest of them have nothing to say without being fed something from Swann – clearly none of them knew anything about Swanns latest move.
    I would consider that many are not renewing on the fact that their money invested wouldn’t be the most secure given Swanns latest move. Will there be a club next season? I doubt it, will season ticket sales save the club? I doubt it.
    A disinterested owner with diminishing funds across his business refusing to now speak to media, hardly motivating.

johnboyj charles
    Participant
    Registered On: January 5, 2014
    Topics: 8

I think Mr Swann is waiting for a bid from a developer to then close the club down demolish the sardine can and build on it. Hope I’m wrong though.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

The analogy has been used before – but if you get poor service and a lousy product – how long do you keep paying out good money for it?
    Even doing that for several weeks smacks of incipient insanity – and yet fans are expected to do this year on year, decade on decade.
    Then the shriek, “If you don’t pay to watch this load of poo – you are not a real fan!” (Otherwise known as ‘the blackmail factor.”)

5 users thanked author for this post.
    BrottonironBrottoniron
    Participant
    Registered On: April 16, 2022
    Topics: 2

Are you REALLY for real UTI99 or a troll. If the former you really need to consider if it is happy clappers like yourself that destroy clubs by feeding the ego of deluded owners – if ever there was proof that money is no measure of a man ( or woman) can I respectfully point you at Mr Swann ( there may be vacancy of chief sycophant available if you are interested – you certainly are well qualified)

mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 100

You can’t even take the risk of getting your season ticket because you have no idea what’s going to happen, though they have relaid the training pitch.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 141

You could always pay in installments.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    IronaweIronawe
    Participant
    Registered On: December 31, 2013
    Topics: 36

The club has gone, it hurts but its reality. Swann cares not a jot and wants his pound of flesh for land – in my view anybody who builds on this land is in for a rough ride. If Swann doesn’t sell and attempts to build himself well…. i do not need to say anything

NorthumbironNorthumbiron

The analogy has been used before – but if you get poor service and a lousy product – how long do you keep paying out good money for it?

Obviously UTI99 doesn’t appreciate this.

You have a favourite restaurant. You go one night and the food is disappointing, but you don’t stop going because you think it’s just a one-off blip.

The next time you go there’s fewer diners there. Even fewer the next time. Because the restaurant has lost income they buy in poorer quality ingredients. They can’t afford to maintain the building so it looks shabby, further putting off would be customers.

Who is ultimately responsible for this deterioration? The owner, the front of house manager, the chefs, the waiting staff?

One thing is for certain, it’s not the customers.

It is of course straightforward enough to go to another restaurant if this happens. However it is not as straightforward if it is the football club you have followed since you were a nipper.

This is the emotional blackmail club owners inflict on us fans. Swann has kept us hanging on empty promises ever since he arrived.

This is his legacy.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

Exactly NI, so you have two choices. Keep going through the toughest of times or stop going and see us go out of existence.

YOUR CHOICE!!

NorthumbironNorthumbiron

Exactly the same choices as Swann then?

It would appear he’s chosen the latter.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

Swann is looking for a buyer for the club which obviously states his intentions.

It in no way justifies SUFC fans deserting the club too.

bartonscorpionbartonscorpion
    Participant
    Registered On: July 20, 2015
    Topics: 43

Swann has milked the club dry, he has then said he is looking for a buyer, what the hell is left for anyone to even consider buying the club, we are now not even in the bottom division of the football league, WE ARE A NON-LEAGUE TEAM, with a squad that is not good enough to even hold a place in the National League, with a run down stadium, no money, and a dwindled fan base.

You have never ever failed to support Swann have you UTI99, you just lick his arse continualy, no matter what he has done to our club, many of us will never attend games again whilst he is still the uninterested owner, as I am saying, he has no interest in SUFC as a team, so why should we have, also giving what is offered on match days at GP.

6 users thanked author for this post.
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.