Prediction League

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Prediction League

• Author
    adminSST
    Keymaster
    Registered On: December 19, 2013
    Topics: 76

Well done to Bartonscorpion, Ironfan and Toney who came 1st, 2nd and 3rd respectively on the 19/20 prediction league – winners have been contacted and will receive monies this week.
    Whilst we don’t have a firm start date for the 20/21 campaign, entries are now open for the new season. Sign up is once again £15 and this will be distributed between the prize pot and website maintenance/hosting fees – however this year there will be an added bonus for all users that sign up.

Unfortunately Coronavirus has had a huge impact on worldwide ad spends and given there has been no football, traffic to the website is almost non existent. This means income from the various advertisements on the forum will not cover the hosting costs, so all prediction league entries are vital to make up the shortfall and allow us to keep going.

As a thank you to all early sign ups, we have decided to offer access to a podcast members area as part of the sign up fee – meaning all Prediction League players will also receive early access to our podcasts – starting with our interview with Matt Sparrow which is live now.

You can sign up for the prediction league using Paypal – following the link below.

Alternatively, if you’d like to support the podcast but don’t want to play in the Prediction League you can sign up to the members area for £3 a month. This subscription is managed via Paypal and be cancelled at any time.

New podcasts can be found on the private ‘members’ page which can be accessed via the blue ‘Members’ button in the menu – prediction league users will also be able to access this page.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 63

Done!

Does predicting when the season starts count as the first week?1 I’ll go for October 17th.

TwoWrightsTwoWrights
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 1

I’ve coughed up the £15, but again won’t be making predictions. :-)

It’s our time.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron

I’ve coughed up the £15

You need to wear a face mask!

PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 61

A very good deal for people. Hope we can get a lot more.

Why ? Well it is a massive help to SST to help fund this forum, an independent one at that. He defends this independence and yours. The difficult questions can still be asked – whether the club answer is up to them.

But please keep your questions or comments 100% legal. Check your posting.

PaulSanfran49
    Participant

Unable to edit at the moment so just to say DONE.

adminSST
    Keymaster

Five sign ups so far – thanks to all that are taking part again. It is really appreciated.

PaulSanfran49
    Participant

Going to be a great season and the prediction league less predictable than ever.

Looking forward to locking horns with old adversaries and hopefully a lot more new faces.

This is not just about the predictions this is to support Matt and help him keep the forum 100% independent.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron

FIVE!

In the words of a well known Norwich fan…

LET’S BE ‘AVING YOU!

adminSST
    Keymaster

Bump!

NorthumbironNorthumbiron

Where is everyone?

Are they all hanging on for a refund for missing the last nine games?

Get signed up, if only to pay for the fun you had on Bru during lockdown.

TwoWrightsTwoWrights
    Participant
    Topics: 1

Where is everyone?

Are they all hanging on for a refund for missing the last nine games?

Get signed up, if only to pay for the fun you had on Bru during lockdown.

Fifteen quid for ten seconds?! ;-)
    (innuendo optional)

It’s our time.

PaulSanfran49
    Participant

Come on everyone, your forum needs YOU !

It really does, this really is a financial lifeline and Matt does an amazing job so come on get signed up. You also get access to the latest podcasts and reading comments on here and twitter they have gone down a storm.

Sept 12th is just around the corner.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron

Ditto!

Boris has given you 50% off a Happy Meal so you can afford it!

DarrynStampGoalMachineDarrynStampGoalMachine
    Participant
    Registered On: May 21, 2018
    Topics: 8

I’m in. I’ll see if I can better my record from last year of failing to make a single prediction.

GreylagGreylag
    Participant
    Topics: 3

Done. I confidently expect to appear in the top 99% at the end of the season. Good luck to all.

PaulSanfran49
    Participant

Welcome people. Going to be a good challenge this season.

mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 100

Just paid mine, keep up the good work Matt.

adminSST
    Keymaster

Up to 16 – massive thanks to everyone that has signed up so far!

adminSST
    Keymaster

Prize pot currently stands at £90

bartonscorpionbartonscorpion
    Participant
    Registered On: July 20, 2015
    Topics: 43

I would just like to point out the enjoyment I have drawn from being a member of the Predictiob League over the past five seasons, but a couple of things have changed over the past two seasons which in my opinion are not for the good of the competition.

Firstly there was a change made for the past two seasons when a draw forcast for a game predition but not being the correct goals recorded was changed from the original six points to four points for some reason, in my opinion a correct result has been forcast and should be awarded six points. At the present time if someone predicts a 2-1 result, and the actual score is 6-1, he gets SEVEN POINTS, whereas if someone predicts 1-1 and the actual result is 2-2 he only gets FOUR POINTS, can anyone see any sense in this situation???.

Secondly a couple of members put down 2-1 or 1-2 for EVERY RESULT throughout the season, I appreciate that members can put what ever result they wish, because there are no rules preventing this, but this is NOT PREDICTING, it is just putting the result that most matches end in, you may as well make it a competition that requests either a H for home win, and A for an away win. It is much more interesting and fair to see a Sanfran 4-1 or a Cassidy 0-3 PREDICTION., because at the end of the day we are not playing for a row of houses, in actual fact the Prediction League Winner for the nine month long competition gets odds of 4-1 on his stake, and the runner up gets 2-1 on his entrance fee.

These are my opinions only, and before anyone thinks or say anything about being greedy, I have ended all of the five seasons in the top four places each year, and apart from the following years entrace fee being paid, I have always requested Matt to put the rest towards the forum operations fund, but the above two things are a spoiler as far as I am concerned, this competition should be for fun, and members should Predict what they think the result should be, and not 2-1, 2-1, 2-1, 2-1, 1-2, week after week throughout the season, just because it is the most ended result in games.

AS STATED, THIS IS MY OPINION, IF YOU AGREE FAIR ENOUGH, IF NOT THAT IS YOUR OPINION.

IronfanIronfan
    Participant
    Topics: 2

I guess I’m one of the people that your post is aimed at, however, I don’t understand your argument. Your scattergun approach to predicting the results has served you well as you freely admit. I recall you won it last year. Not sure why feel it necessary to opine how others approach the league. I agree that we aren’t playing for a “row of houses” so I wonder why you spend so much time posting about it

NorthumbironNorthumbiron

Agree that a predicted draw should be 6pts not 4.

Don’t agree on the rest of the post.

Participant

Yes guys, nice to see your comments, and respect what you say, but do you really think that putting 2-1 for every match throughout the season is actually PREDICTING THE SCORE OF GAMES, lets face it, you use that score because it is the most ommon result for match endings.

Actually Ironfan I was not aware that you were one of the 2-1 merchants pal, I was actually making reference to the punter that has used the 2-1 / 1-2 for two seasons, apart from one Friday night match which was left open overnight, and he actually changed his forcast to the correct result of 3-2, but his move was spotted by Matt who correctly awarded him zero points, but that move really sticks in my gullet, and as stated it is supposed to be for fun and to generate funds to maintain the Forum, so for sixty quid for a full season, is it really worth cheating???? MY ANSWER IS A BIG NO!!

mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 100

Barton don’t you think that it is up to them what they predict, I never predict a Scunthorpe win because we would definitely lose.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron

We have a prediction league for the PL in our local pub. I came joint last the season just finished!

The winner was a lady who knows nothing about football but wants to support the pub much like we are doing with IB. We have a default score (mine is 1-1) that is automatically entered against each fixture if you’re not in on a Friday to fill in your predictions.

In previous years Bru members have signed up but not made any predictions (or stopped/forgot) after a few weeks. If they had a default score repeated for each fixture then at least they would be involved to the end.

I have absolutely no problem with anyone who has supported the site by paying to join the prediction league entering 2-1, 1-2 or any other score. Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice!

Not sure why it bothers you BS. You know damn well every L2 game won’t finish 2-1, so surely working out your own prediction gives you a better chance of success.

Born out by the fact that you won the bloody thing!

Participant

OK Northumbiron, no more to be said by me on the issue, as stated TWICE it was only my opinion, I respect what you say, so you do not agree with my comments.

But the FOUR POINTS for predicting a draw is completely wrong, when you see a 2-1 prediction and they get SEVEN POINTS if the score end up being 7-1, that is my main gripe, why it was changed two years ago makes no sense what so ever.

adminSST
    Keymaster

Happy to set the points system to something everybody agrees on.

Participant

Thanks for getting involved Matt, always willing to solve our problems.

Just please take a vote of members regarding the four or six points for a draw result, but not being the correct goals, ie 2-2 forcast and result is 3-3 for example, then accept the outcome, so please give your views guys, it was always six points until the past two seasons, was there a reason for it to change???

NorthumbironNorthumbiron

Aye, willing to back you up on that one!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.