Out of the second of three cups in the first round tonight.

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Out of the second of three cups in the first round tonight.

• Author
    alcazaralcazar
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 50

History repeats itself…same as last year.

We are getting our @rses handed to us at home by Man City U21.
    Lincoln are roundly beating Man Utd U21.

Pride of Lincolnshire? We were.

Cheers Swann you total waste of oxygen.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    bartonscorpionbartonscorpion
    Participant
    Registered On: July 20, 2015
    Topics: 43

There is still the first round of the FA Cup Alkazar before our 2021 season is completed, it’s only August and as you say mate we are out of two cups and almost out of the League 2.

We just need another home draw to a team like Solihull Moors to complete the season.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    forever ironforever iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 5

just to clarify one thing. We are not out of second cup tonight as we still have 2 games to play. We will be out at some point but not tonight. And yes we were beaten at home by Man city u/21’s but we also had a very young team out as well.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    bartonscorpionbartonscorpion
    Participant
    Registered On: July 20, 2015
    Topics: 43

You are just splittings hairs forever-iron, next game is at Rotherham, who will have a better team out than the young lads from Manchester, you cannot make tonight smell like roses, 0-3 at home to make it 16 games without a win!!!!!

forever ironforever iron
    Participant
    Topics: 5

Not splitting hairs just stating facts. We are still in this cup and yes Rotherham will be a different game but look at us 8 payers out injured and then we lose another 2 first team player’s to covid hopefully we will be able to field our strongest 11 and then we can judge them. It is easy to slate us but we must be given a chance the 2 away games they played okay and could have even got more points then they did.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 63

There’s plenty of things to complain about, but our kids (plus Onariase and Davis) losing to Man City’s isn’t one.

I trust all of those having a moan about the score went tonight?

4 users thanked author for this post.
    thermy123IanD
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 1

Actually i did go tonight – and in my humble opinion – there were very few (if any) positives to take from the performance. City did put out a youth full team, but to a player, they were a country mile better than us in every department. We lacked energy, accuracy and didnt even get near them in terms of quality. Just showed the gulf between the big boys and us, but more worrying, showed that outside the first 11, we have little or nothing in reserve.

Again – thats only my opinion of course.

mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 100

Cole Palmer who scored the first played 21 minutes for the first team against Norwich on Saturday, I was impressed with their captain who was in central defence and the little number 99 was outstanding.

And yes Northumbiron I did go to the game.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 38

I only watched on iFollow. Much as there is plenty to moan about at the club just now tonight’s match is not one of them.

Our youngsters plus Onariase and Davis from one of the self confessed lowest resourced clubs in English professional football got beat by the youngsters from one of the 2 or 3 top resourced clubs in the world.

Six of our players making their senior club debuts all who worked hard and showed some ability in a tough game for them. Be as negative as you like about why we had to play so many kids and whose responsibility that is but let’s not be slagging off kids representing our club and doing their best.

Last season we threw in the towel in an embarrassing manner. This season we worked hard but were beaten by a good team of excellent footballers.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 141

Nice to see a decent crowd as well, I was expecting less than 500.

alcazaralcazar
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 50

You are just splittings hairs forever-iron, next game is at Rotherham, who will have a better team out than the young lads from Manchester, you cannot make tonight smell like roses, 0-3 at home to make it 16 games without a win!!!!!

At least we are still setting records…of a sort.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Topics: 96

Hard to be too critical of any Scunthorpe team losing to an expensively assembled collection of the world’s best young players. The gap between rich & poor has never been bigger in football. Everything is set up to favour the big guys who have unlimited wealth from nation states, whilst we barely have a p to p in.

I’m still really disappointed fans go to these games, I can’t understand why they do.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 141

Who are you to be really disappointed? And what’s your agenda?

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

Who are you to be really disappointed? And what’s your agenda?

My agenda is that I think these B-team games are terrible for clubs like ours and by going to them you are giving them legitimacy. Even beyond that, I can’t see why anyone would want to watch a game against a B-team, it’s barely more than a friendly. Especially given the XI we put out.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013

The competition was better without these ‘nursery sides’.
    They add nothing whatsoever to the MM Cup.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 38

I can see possible value to the Premiership sides in being in the competition but it devalues the thing for L1 and L2 clubs.

The Man City coach was waxing lyrical about the benefit of Tuesday’s game for them although I find it hard to see what bendfit they get from playing against virtually an under 21 Scunthorpe side in an emptyish stadium that they don’t get in the Premiership U 21 League.

I totally support Cox playing the kids rather than risking further injuries to first team players at this stage of the season but it makes a mockery of the competition and little wonder fans don’t bother turning up.

PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 61

Over the years Scunthorpe United developed a reputation of battlers who despite the odds against any level opponent never quit.

Now expectation of progress is minimal at best.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.