Match Thoughts.

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Match Thoughts.

• Author
    lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

We were on to beat them by several and lost the plot.
    Where was the leadership on the pitch after we scored?
    We have forgotten how to win!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    DarrynStampGoalMachineDarrynStampGoalMachine
    Participant
    Registered On: May 21, 2018
    Topics: 8

If it wasn’t for Watson actually having a good game in the first half and some unbelievably incompetent finishing in the second half we could have lost by 3 or 4 to one of the worst teams I’ve seen us play for a few years.

No idea how to manage a game. No clue what to do when in front (because of how rarely it happens presumably).

Green needs a spell out of the side he’s offering nothing. Awful again today.

Scrimshaw looks decent might be good for some goals paired with Loft and give some service but no idea where the service is coming from.

Make no mistake about how much trouble we are in.

Thank god for Oldham.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

We were looking good for a win and I was enjoying the game much more then the Swindon encounter, we looked sharp going forward particularly second half and Scrimshaw was excellent, great goal and in their faces the entire game. Then the equaliser, once again Pugh found wanting at wing back/full back and beaten too easily by their winger who provided an easy finish for their forward and then we could have lost it when we should have been already out of sight. Good display by Watson but why oh why can’t we manage a game better when heading for three points? It’s getting better but it’s tedious slow in getting that first win.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant

That sub winger of theirs would still have got that cross in if marked by a lot better than Pugh.
    Can’t imagine why he didn’t start.

Think Hippo looks to be clearly ahead of Green in our pecking order – contributed more.

Defenders looked as if they hadn’t been formally introduced to each other.

Participant

3 at the back doesn’t work none of the 3 look like they know what their responsibilities are.

Pugh was weak for the cross for the equaliser but decent game apart from that.

Hippolyte had a better game and was miles ahead of Green who is utterly ineffective at the minute.

IronaweIronawe
    Participant
    Registered On: December 31, 2013
    Topics: 36

Had the game in the bag but after we scored we threw it all away.

Green was and has been abysmal for a while.

Hippolyte had 8/9 corners first half none of them threatening and second half he gave away possession in really vital areas – that KDT would’ve been chastised for.

We were lucky to take a point in the end and 2,400 fans (so about 2,250 home fans) just shows where this club is at.

Got some new flags though

BarnardFoxtonBarker..BarnardFoxtonBarker..
    Participant
    Registered On: June 28, 2017
    Topics: 0

It was a game we could have easily won and there again could have easily lost. Watson for me M.O.M two or three excellent saves first half. A draw was probably the fair result. Scrimshaw looks like the forward we have been crying out for especially playing off Loft when Lofty is fit again.
    Ref again a complete joke.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 141

Equalled the longest club run of league matches without a win, and created a new record of 15 matches in all competitions without a win, Well done Cox you have created history, on the positive side we weren’t the first lge club to lose to them in the lge, very well done Cox.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Participant

Hippolyte had 8/9 corners first half none of them threatening

Disagree with that. The first one was awful and a couple more weren’t great but some were delivered very well into dangerous areas and just weren’t attacked.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 100

Very disappointed with the second half performance, our goal was the only one we had on target all game and we never troubled the keeper at all apart from the goal and the attack won nothing in the air all game, the new lad played OK but Green and Hippolyte had a couple of good runs then did nothing with it, either wayward pass or tripping over the ball,
    I must praise Rory Watson who had a good game and also I am not keen on 3 at the back, and also substituting the left back on 75 minutes every game, also still don’t like Pugh playing right back.
    We are the home team and again it wasn’t football to win the missing fans back, it was Knill side passing and Wilcox let’s hang on to what we’ve got style, I know we have a lot of players missing but if we carry on trying to win 1-0 every game it’s going to be very boring.

IronfanIronfan
    Participant
    Topics: 2

I am not keen on 3 at the back……
    We are the home team and again it wasn’t football to win the missing fans back

I don’t think we have much choice with the number of injuries we currently have and the quality of the squad

Participant

You are right but I just said I don’t like it, also I think swapping Jessop for Green weakened us, I have never seen a team get so many injuries as us this last 2 or 3 seasons.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 50

Absolutely gutted today. Cox threw it away and I’m fast losing patience.

We actually played some nice stuff in parts and was good seeing a striker like Scrimshaw get in the channels and into the defenders faces- they didn’t like it and he deserved the goal. Other positives were Watson who didn’t really put a foot wrong apart from a couple of dodgy kicks, deserves to keep his place. Additionally Onarisie put in a solid shift. That should’ve been the end of summary as Sutton were atrocious and completely out the game, if anything we should have pushed for a 2nd.

However, as is par for the course we cannot manage a game, too many young lads who do not have enough experience along with a manger who cannot adapt. Pugh left exposed, yet again- when will bringing in a right back FFS? And Harry Jessop looking like he’s won a competition to play league football. Complete shambles after they scored and we should have lost with their chances.

Hate to say it but we are doomed. Stick that on the wall Cox if there’s any room left.

bartonscorpionbartonscorpion
    Participant
    Registered On: July 20, 2015
    Topics: 43

With not being at the game, and it not on IFollower, I am not in a position to make comment on this match, but all I can say is 15 games without a win, how long is the Chairman prepared to go before he decides something must be changed???. I would think that the 2,424 gate will give him a bit of a pointer on what the once loyal supporters are thinking, and why they no longer wish to watch any more of this, and regarding the 9 corners that Hippo took, Tom Newey co,,ented that they were very much wasted. So Les do you not think a 4 rating could have been used for Green and Hippo???, and good to hear that Watson had a good game, people should give him a break after the last two matches.

Another point, but taking one point from home games will result in relegation, which if people wake up, will see that it is looking us in the face, it makes me think that some people want this to happen to OUR once great little club, yes 2,424 suggests that many fans are thinking this.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant

Green – below par. 5
    Hippo – patchy but far better. Worked hard. Contributed. 6.

The main problem with Hippo’s corners was that they were not often attacked.
    Not sure that I can recall a single corner that the GK took. For us that’s quite an improvement.

SharpShooter24Sharp_Shooter24
    Participant
    Registered On: April 24, 2014
    Topics: 76

So here are my thoughts, I’ll start with player ratings…

Watson 9
    Pugh 7
    Onariase 8
    Taft 7
    Davis 7
    Thompson 7
    Beestin 8
    Perry 7
    Hippolyte 7
    Green 7
    Scrimshaw 8

All 3 subs were poor, each sub made the team weaker and the performance worse.

Cox 5
    Absolutely no idea how to win a football match!
    Subs were poor and I get the bench is weak and that’s not necessarily his fault but when Green had to go off it needed to be for Wilson to keep the attacking creativity alive with some pace… Jessop isn’t good enough!
    When jessop came on we lost width down one side and we had 2 small strikers offering very little, the ball just started coming back at us.
    Cox interview was poor, young lads who need to learn… He needs to learn!! Sometimes hanging on for a one nil won’t be enough and it’s not the young lads fault.
    He’s tactically appalling.

Final word to the lads, I actually enjoyed the game and they played well for the most part.
    This team could do ok and not be in a relegation battle but they will need support from the fans .

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 11

Good point with so many players out injured.

Hopefully Cox can get two out to bring two more in. Good debut by Scrimshaw, looked just what we need.

vadervader
    Participant
    Registered On: October 21, 2017
    Topics: 6

Humberside commentary was shocking.
    Newey was OK, but not the same without Mike White, other bloke was dreadful.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 85

Interesting that corners have been noted by many. Before the season started Cox highlighted the importance of set plays in L2. Today we had 11 corners which produced no goals and, as far as I remember, only one effort on goal and that off target. We have some big lads about, surely we can do better than this especially as goals from open play could be hard to come by.

Participant

Absolute dogshit.

He didn’t know who any of the players were and sounded like he’d seen about 3 football matches in his life.

Assumed Mike was off but then he piped up doing highlights from Hull for some reason.

SharpShooter24Sharp_Shooter24
    Participant
    Registered On: April 24, 2014
    Topics: 76

Agree about set pieces.

If the team are going to find the season challenging because we are using so many young lads and the squad is threadbare then perfecting set pieces is vital.

9 corners in the first half with no shots on target during the 45 minutes!!

Is Cox capable of attacking football & tactics??
    I just don’t see that he is

IronaweIronawe
    Participant

Cox is very limited in his abilities. Has been hamstrung with the shit show above him but anybody could’ve seen a positive approach after the goal would’ve put the game to bed and we just sort of switched off allowed them to regain composure and they should’ve won it really – two absolute sitters missed by them. We had one shot on target.

I’ve heard Cox say we were ‘leggy’ over 20 times now. He’s just not up to the job but he isn’t the reason we will be relegated.

Participant

I asked Tom Newey where Mike White or Matt Dean was and he said doing Hull City, I didn’t know the other commenter I’ve never seen him before and he was a oldish fellow, listened to Humberside on way home but apart from interviews with Cox, Scrimshaw and McCann it was all Rugby League, though I did have a good chat with Chris Sumpter and it is 18 months since I saw him, also Lee Novak was at the game according to someone near me who had been to the Bar.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant

The temptation not to play 4-4-2 is increased dramatically by having three CBS who are both experienced and amongst our most successful current players.
    I feel that Neil wants them all included and adjusts formations to make that happen.
    I wrote yesterday about not liking the ‘narrowness’ in a 4-3-3. Today, I’ll say that I prefer a 5-3-2 to the very similar 3-5-2.
    In the latter, you need FBs with a great deal more experience as it is designed to advance the FBs much further up the pitch – but the former gives a greater control of the system and the play of the opposition.
    Effectively, today was a 3-5-1-1 and it left gaping holes all over.
    How about an out and out 4-4-2 with Davis in front of the CBs – close enough to be there to cover in the defence itself if required. He’d be better at it than Kenyon, IMHO.

IronaweIronawe
    Participant

4-4-2 with Jem sat in there rather than Davis would be ideal but hey ho. He spoke his mind once too often

johnny_ironjohnny_iron
    Participant
    Registered On: May 26, 2017
    Topics: 1

Bottom line….
    we drew at home to a team who will be in or around us come May…

PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 61

Post match by Cox summed it up. “This is a young squad, an inexperienced squad . They are learning” !!
    How many times was that rubbish trotted out !!

Yet again he selects the failures of last season, he sets up a negative formation and from what I was told the substitutions were a joke.

Probably doing the job the chairman wants, any guesses on the next home gate ???

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 82

Big problem is now is that 2 of our best players in Perry and Beestin can’t play together as a partnership in a 4/4/2. Beestin naturally likes to go forward and Perry is more of a ball player so we’d be left wide open.

We could play 4/4/2 with Pugh in there at the expense of Perry or Beestin and stick Rowe at RB until Millen is back but would you really do that ?. I’m pretty sure that even Pugh is more of a box to box player, only defensive midfielder we had was Kenyon and he was so immobile he just simply got ran past.

Cox said ideally he wants 2 more loans. You can imagine one being a defensive CM player and probably another striker.

Jessop isn’t ready going from today. I’d loan him out.

Davis, Onariase and Taft didn’t gel very well and Taft looked the weakest of the 3 with Manny being the stand out again.

Watson did really well again and Scrimshaw looked good. I can imagine him and Loft would do well at this level.

Green so far has been awful though…I’d even play an unfit and questionable Jarvis over Green up front, that’s how bad he’s been.

Millen
    Bunn
    Hallam
    O’Neil
    Loft
    Bilson
    Kenyon

Always get so many bloody injuries.

Thinking about our striker shortage I’d even be tempted to stick Beestin upfront with Scrimshaw and stick Pugh where he’s supposed to be in CM and play Rowe where he’s supposed to be played at RB while Millen is getting his fitness up.

Green either needs to be out wide or on the bench. Fecking awful…he’s miles off it.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    bartonscorpionbartonscorpion
    Participant
    Registered On: July 20, 2015
    Topics: 43

Post match by Cox summed it up. “This is a young squad, an inexperienced squad . They are learning” !!
    How many times was that rubbish trotted out !!

Yet again he selects the failures of last season, he sets up a negative formation and from what I was told the substitutions were a joke.

Probably doing the job the chairman wants, any guesses on the next home gate ???

Tuesday night v Man City——–972.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant

Really well argued, WG.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.