We are so much better…

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace We are so much better…

• Author
    FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 97

Not been impressed recently with him recently, on his day he is one of our better players but his level of performances are falling short for me.

What are his best attributes for you? For me, he looks fantastic in the air, particularly in the opposition box. But he’s so slow when turned and his passing is a real problem for us. If Eisa’s hamstring hadn’t gone, his muffed clearance would probably have cost us a goal on Saturday and that was his second such dodgy moment.

I dunno, maybe he isn’t fit, in which case I’ll cut him some slack, but I’m far from convinced.

On the upside, I thought Taft looked pretty good this weekend.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 52

Good header of the ball and his sliding tackles are usually second to none. However, the main reason for him being so good at them is probably because he gets turned so often. Perhaps injuries have taken their toll? Him and Taft are not working as partnership for me at the moment either.

Saying that, Seen enough of him to know he’s a decent defender at this level as he’s previously performed well. Hopefully Hill can get him firing on all cylinders again.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 97

Fair enough, happy to take the word of someone who’s seen more of him than me. Be interesting to see what decision Hill makes when Davis is fit.

adminSST
    Keymaster
    Registered On: December 19, 2013
    Topics: 76

Neither Manny or Taft look fit to me and they have both been poor for weeks.

A centre back would be high on my list of priorities in January tbh.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

A CB is not just a good idea – it’s a must.

SODIronSODIron
    Participant
    Registered On: July 8, 2014
    Topics: 20

I think we can all agree that things appear to be heading in the right direction since KH took the reins however, one thing we need to happen quickly is wins!

Whilst improved performances indicate that he’s slowly turning things around we must remember that we need to finish 22nd to avoid being relegated. When we look back at the last few seasons, we can see on average a team needs 47 points to avoid relegation, with both Bristol Rovers and Barnet being relegated with 50 & 51 points respectively. The big question is “How many points do we need this season for safety?”.

Looking at the League 2 table we can see the teams in the relegation battle zone (20th or lower) are all averaging 1 point per game or less. Based on the form from the start of the season we have Carlisle, Oldham and of course us all projected to get less than 40 points for the season. Whilst we could potentially survive the drop on 40 points, I feel that we should be targeting a minimum of 48 points as this would give us a greater chance of avoiding relegation. The issue then becomes how do we get 34 points from the remaining 27 matches? We need KH to start turning this team of dustbins into a cohesive unit quickly so we can start to scrape a few wins and get those points on the board. We were thankful for Orients wasted opportunities last week, and the Bradford match could have gone either way.

December is a very important month for us, and the next two matches could really make or break our season. We need to win the Stevenage match to pull them right into the mix. If we can follow that with an away win at a out of form Hartlepool United (they’ve lost 5 on the bounce) we’ll be able to take some confidence into the Bristol home match, and the very important away match at Oldham on Boxing Day. A few good results this month could see us pull out of the drop zone, and more importantly, drag more teams into the battle. Failing to beat Stevenage and Oldham won’t relegate us, but it will make our job of survival so much harder. I feel that come the end of December we’ll have a much clearer understanding just where we’ll finish come the end of the season!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 64

I feel that we should be targeting a minimum of 48 points

Arrrgh! Not the dreaded “targeting” word.

Let’s just try to win every game and see where that takes us

XxxXxx
    Participant
    Registered On: May 27, 2017
    Topics: 3

Your style is completely different elsewhere hmm

IronSteveSteve
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 0

Thoughts:
    We are improving game by game. We are clearly fitter – and by a considerable margin.
    Tactics are sensible – and what an improvement that is!
    Players who showed little intelligence look like their brains are in gear.

Four weeks ago – we’d have lost both these games.

Best headed goal I’ve seen in aeons from an Iron player and Jarvo was oh-so-close to a second.

Great performance from Hippo; some nice bits of class from Perry; Beestin improving. All this against a backcloth of better understanding between midfield and defence. (Hill likes Beestin!)

Turnbull made Jarvo man of the match.

I think Millen gets into the side more for his angled crosses than for his defending. Thompson was decent and Taft much better than of late. How many cards has Manny had? – I really don’t fancy going into any match with Taft as our only CB.

As long as we move forwards from this point

Perry is so frustrating.. for such a tall lad he is a pansy! High foot a few times instead of getting stuck in with his head

Taft exactly the same as he has been all season to be honest doesn’t seem to have a clue on where to defend or who he’s defending against.. just kept pointing and getting turned in and out. For a big lad he doesn’t win headers and a captain he is not!

Another comment on here saying we need to keep O’Hara he comes for crosses… If he came for crosses we wouldn’t of conceded he seems to be stuck on his line too much.

Very poor substitutes too by Hill bringing on Green as a striker when he seems to be more bothered about his hair and why have we started bringing Jai Rowe on as a DM?!

Young lad Poulter should’ve been given the nod always seems to bag for the youth team!

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 12

I think we can all agree that things appear to be heading in the right direction since KH took the reins however, one thing we need to happen quickly is wins!

Whilst improved performances indicate that he’s slowly turning things around we must remember that we need to finish 22nd to avoid being relegated. When we look back at the last few seasons, we can see on average a team needs 47 points to avoid relegation, with both Bristol Rovers and Barnet being relegated with 50 & 51 points respectively. The big question is “How many points do we need this season for safety?”.

Looking at the League 2 table we can see the teams in the relegation battle zone (20th or lower) are all averaging 1 point per game or less. Based on the form from the start of the season we have Carlisle, Oldham and of course us all projected to get less than 40 points for the season. Whilst we could potentially survive the drop on 40 points, I feel that we should be targeting a minimum of 48 points as this would give us a greater chance of avoiding relegation. The issue then becomes how do we get 34 points from the remaining 27 matches? We need KH to start turning this team of dustbins into a cohesive unit quickly so we can start to scrape a few wins and get those points on the board. We were thankful for Orients wasted opportunities last week, and the Bradford match could have gone either way.

December is a very important month for us, and the next two matches could really make or break our season. We need to win the Stevenage match to pull them right into the mix. If we can follow that with an away win at a out of form Hartlepool United (they’ve lost 5 on the bounce) we’ll be able to take some confidence into the Bristol home match, and the very important away match at Oldham on Boxing Day. A few good results this month could see us pull out of the drop zone, and more importantly, drag more teams into the battle. Failing to beat Stevenage and Oldham won’t relegate us, but it will make our job of survival so much harder. I feel that come the end of December we’ll have a much clearer understanding just where we’ll finish come the end of the season!

Add to that Carlisle at home Jan 1st … after that fixture things will be a whole lot clearer more so if we are still in the mix to stay up .. may reflect on the Jan transfer window signings ins n outs.

Re your 48 pt target … yes im more optimistic now , i like Keith Hill but ….48 is a tall order and im thinking 40 to 45 max which may or may not be enough ..i doubt it will be.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.