Home Forums The New Blast Furnace Serious questions over the manager?

ironking
    Participant
    Topics: 33
    Replies: 167

Playing in red took me back to fond memories of the Old Show Ground, but bad memories of the poor football we watched at the bottom end of the old 4th Division.

The players we have in the current squad are collectively not good enough, we offered no serious goal threat today v Gillingham.

No organised defence, a rabble of a midfield without structure, no width, and a lacklustre forward line.

Gillingham upped their game after the break and exploited our frailties,but what was the managers response with non game changing substitutions.

After watching this latest inept display i am starting to seriously wonder about McCall as a manager.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 196
    Replies: 7965

Said from day one McCall doesn’t do substitutions. Now you have the proof.

1 user thanked author for this post.

premier iron
    Participant
    Topics: 43
    Replies: 278

So you blame the manager because he inherited a crap squad?

3 users thanked author for this post.

Bartoniron66
    Participant
    Topics: 46
    Replies: 317

Sorry but in my opinion we can’t carry on and give McCall the January money he has to go NOW!!!! AND GIVE SOMEONE ELSE THE FUNDS HE IS TOTALLY CLUELESS.

2 users thanked author for this post.

antony munn
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 13

Why is he totally clueless……players are lg2 at best some conference at best…..he has no one else to play to change anything at all either in tactics or personel atm. He needs some time imo and you dont solve a problem by leaving the same problem to someone else. Somewhere along the line swann needs to give a manager time as changing manager every 6 months isnt working.

7 users thanked author for this post.

IronIronIron
    Participant
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 965

Why did we bother changing manager to bring McCall in if he wasnt going to have any effect?

He knew the state of the squad when he joined – and if he didn’t then he is a bigger prat than I thought.

He has had absolutely no positive impact at all. I didn’t expect him to take us up to an automatic promotion place, but I did expect some decent organisation and passion.

He is woeful.

Iron-awe
    Participant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 1212

I will use the words prat and woeful and it applies to a lot of the posts on this thread. Give your heads a wobble and grow up some of you.

IRON1899
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 383

Why is he totally clueless……

Two examples for you.Plays a clueless striker Ugbo as a winger when we have a winger,who he signed,in Yasin El Mhanni sat on the bench ! Today takes off Lund when he was our player and leaves Perch on who did feck all in the whole game.

antony munn
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 13

Totally agree about el mhanni id like to see what he can do but he said lund came off with a problem with his knee.

lesgeo
    Participant
    Topics: 167
    Replies: 1437

Getting harder by the match to attract decent new signings.
    We’ll end up paying 60% or so extra in expected wages to every player to attract them in? – Hope the chairman has deep pockets.

4 users thanked author for this post.

IRON1899
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 383

Ok.Didn’t know about the Lund injury.

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 196
    Replies: 7965

Lund injury- marvellous!

Deereyme66
    Participant
    Topics: 36
    Replies: 1485

Don’t think Novak’s fully fit either. Tis the season to be jolly, tra la la la la, la la, la la. Anyone for arsenic?

Bartoniron66
    Participant

McCall is a worse manager then Alan interesting knill and that’s a something I thought I would never have to say, and in my opinion the injuries are just masking how bad he really is. 8 losses out of ten at home and a win ratio of less the 10%! I know we lost quality in the summer and promotion was never on this season, but his tactics and his player management are totally useless.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Pat O’Cake
    Participant
    Topics: 24
    Replies: 1088

Promotion was on until Mr Marvelous flogged the crown jewels and replaced them with Ratners summer sales

Bartoniron66
    Participant

Pat o’cake we couldn’t stand in the way of the big four! Murray Wallace had an agreement he could leave without promotion, hakeeb just wouldn’t sign a new contract, and Duane and Connor want to teams that look like they will be in line for promotion to the premier league. and if that happens they will more then likely earn enough money to set them up for the rest of their career as with Martin Woolford.
    The biggest problems are we didn’t replace murray and sign an attacking right back as perch was seen as a midfielder. but the major factor in our defensive problems occurred during the first leg of the play off when Matt Gilks injured his knee, yes we would still be conceding goals but in my opinion no where near the amount we do now. he was always shouting out instructions and positioning the defenders something I never hear with the other keepers.

WonderGoals
    Participant
    Topics: 234
    Replies: 4611

“Pat o’cake we couldn’t stand in the way of the big four”

Pat will knows this as we all do. If I was you Barton, I’d concentrate on the other bit he wrote and focus on that.

“replaced them with Ratners summer sales”

Cliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Topics: 17
    Replies: 498

McCall is a worse manager then Alan interesting knill and that’s a something I thought I would never have to say, and in my opinion the injuries are just masking how bad he really is. 8 losses out of ten at home and a win ratio of less the 10%! I know we lost quality in the summer and promotion was never on this season, but his tactics and his player management are totally useless.

How on earth do you expect him to consistent performances out of that shower of shite?

We have the worst back line I’ve seen in 20 years of watching the club, garbage loan signings who have no desire to play for the club and injuries everywhere. Nothing can be done to rectify that until January.

He may well turn out to be a disaster, who knows, but at least give him a fair crack at it for god’s sake.

8 users thanked author for this post.

premier iron
    Participant
    Topics: 43
    Replies: 278

Maybe I’m wrong but I got the impression from McCall in his interview with Mike White yesterday that he no longer wanted to be at the club.He was talking about his responsibilities saying the result was his fault and he had offered everything he had to the players concerning effort and desire and very few took notice of him.

Greylag
    Participant
    Topics: 66
    Replies: 675

What are the responsibilities and duties of a football team manger, and how far does our present manager meet these responsibilities effectively?

Managers are expected to carry out most, but not necessarily all of the following:

1. Selecting the team of players for matches, and their formation.
    2. Planning the strategy, and instructing the players on the pitch.
    3. Motivating players before and during a match.
    4. Delegating duties to the coaching and medical staff.
    5. Scouting for young but talented players for eventual training in the youth academy or the reserves, and encouraging their development and improvement.
    6. Buying and selling players in the transfer market, including loans.
    7. Facing the media in pre-match and post-match interviews.

I would assume that S McC has so far had no or little part to play in 5 and 6 in his brief occupancy of the post. In my opnion it is his effectiveness in 1, 2 and 3 that cause concern. Am I being unfair to him, what do others think?

razoriron
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 29

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but iam absolutely astounded by people who think McCall is somehow to blame for the complete shambles this club is in. The foundations for this were clearly laid by a combination of incompetence of the previous manager and the utter crap he signed and the chairman’s sudden austerity.Like people, myself have said previously a lot of this squad are poor quality and the best managers in the world would struggle with this shower.To even judge McCall before hes had a chance to bring his own players in is well my opinion just thick.Football,opinions and all that.

Just Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 242

My inclination would be to give the benefit of the doubt where there is a doubt. It seems mean spirited to me to say that the initial unbeaten run of seven games was a fluke and to ignore the fact that this later horrendous run has coincided with injuries to the likes of Ojo, Lund, Morris and Colclough. I may be naive but I truly suspect that had these four stayed injury free for the whole of this period we would be 4 or 5 points better off at the very least .. and even keeping a couple of them injury free may have given us at least couple of points more. Stuart McCall, at this stage, should be given every encouragement to draw on his contacts, beat a path to the Chairman’s door, be ruthless in who he knows needs shipping out and then be judged in 5 or 6 months time. If he salvages mid table from this horror show then I would be eying next season with at least some degree of optimism.

WonderGoals
    Participant

premier, the impression I got from that post match McCall interview was that he’s pissed off and has come to the end of his tether with a large number of them now, rightly so as well.

If a manager is slogging his guts out to make them better in training, talking to them e.t.c and they can’t be bothered/have no desire to improve, there comes a point where any manager would become annoyed and then in turn give up on them.

This is how bad the current set are. Ugbo tries but is shocking but Humphry’s who has talent, albeit showing it occasionally hasn’t pulled his weight. McCall sounds more annoyed with him than anybody else.

lesgeo
    Participant
    Topics: 167
    Replies: 1437

Avoiding relegation would be a triumph!
    Mid-table? – I doubt that!

I didn’t get the feeling that the manager especially wanted out but rather that he was despondent after a wretched display.

cassidystash
    Participant
    Topics: 150
    Replies: 2798

ANOTHER wretched display!! How many more? Poor old Stuart, he has players playing badly, not following coaching instructions, continually making errors and putting in well below 100% effort. In the absence of any alternatives he has to keep picking them, who’d be a manager in the lower leagues?

WonderGoals
    Participant

I’d like to wager that if he’d have known what he was walking in to, he would have never taken this job on.

Who would ?

It’s bad enough having players of low ability but to have players of low ability with no work ethic and no desire to improve…really takes the cake.

To be honest, ever since I’ve watched/followed the iron, this is probably the worse group overall I’ve ever witnessed.

This bunch isn’t anywhere near as bad as other squads I’ve witnessed in terms of raw ability but when you factor in the poor attitudes and lack of work ethic and look at the bigger picture. I can safely say that this group is worst I’ve ever come across.

The squads of yesteryear were shocking in terms of ability but least they used to run themselves into the ground and give their all more often than not for the badge.

These lot for the most part are gutless.

IronIronIron
    Participant
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 965

Trust WG to go overboard.

If you are under 25 then I might go along with some of what you say. If you are over 25 then you are either stupid or attention seeking.

Sanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 266
    Replies: 5891

Not so long ago Paul Warne told some of his squad to stay away, he didn’t want them anywhere near their 1st team.

Then moved them out when he could. Their is a cost when they are playing – losing. So move them away and use players who will love the opportunity. Would have thought Lewis & Sutton could comfortably replace Thomas & Perch but they need more than the odd few minutes or games.

alcazar
    Participant
    Topics: 107
    Replies: 3039

One begins to wonder if any of the injured players just don’t want to play for the club or SMc any more?

forgotten
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 119

One begins to wonder if any of the injured players just don’t want to play for the club or SMc any more?

Got to say that they are going to extreme lengths to avoid playing! Morris breaks his own jaw, Colclough does his cruciate ligaments by deliberately twisting his knee, Clarke inviting a bad tackle so he could damage his shoulder and have a month or two off , hamstring for Ojo – don’t know how he did that, Lund playing with a dodgy knee so the injury worsens and he can have more time off, Butroid with a deliberately self-inflicted hamstring injury so he can have more time off for contract negotiations, Gilks & Watson malingering so that they don’t have to play behind Burgess and co.
    On the other hand,by careful energy management, Humphrys, Ugbo and Thomas have kept themselves fully fit and available.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.