League 1 Round up

Peterborough United maintained top spot in the N Power League One following a comprehensive 3-1 victory over free-falling Port Vale at London Road. Marcus Maddison, a recent signing from non-league Gateshead, scored his second goal for Posh on 18 minutes when his brilliant effort from the edge of the area gave his side the lead. Kyle Vassell’s thumping header then doubled his side’s lead late on before Jack Payne made the points safe on 80 minutes. Vale had no answer to a classy Peterborough side, but did manage a consolation just three minutes later through Jordan Slew.

Bristol City remain unbeaten and move up into second place as they easily brushed aside struggling Scunthorpe at Ashton Gate. Gary McSheffrey could have given the Iron an early lead when his long range effort struck the post, but this kicked City into action who went on to dominate the game and deservedly take the three points. It took until the second period for them to penetrate a stubborn Scunthorpe rearguard but the pressure finally told shortly after half-time when Jordan Flint’s header from a Luke Freeman corner found the net. City continued to cause problems and wrapped up the points late on when Greg Cunningham fired home well following good work from Corey Smith.

Oldham brought to and Fleetwood’s unbeaten start to the season with a 1-0 victory at Boundary Park. The home side started well and strong first-half performance failed to yield reward despite efforts going close from Jonathan Forte and Danny Philliskirk. An improved second-half performance by Fleetwood was indicative of their excellent start to the season, but Forte’s fourth goal of the season for Oldham from the penalty spot shortly after half-time ended up being the difference.

Bradford entered their game against lowly Yeovil knowing that a win could have taken them to the summit of the League One and a huge crowd of over 12,000 turned out hoping to witness it happen. The Glovers obviously hadn’t read the script as they easily brushed aside the home team. Aaron Martin’s excellent first-half brace gave them a foothold in the game before Bradford pulled a goal back against the run of the play through Rory McArdle’s header. Yeovil kept up the pressure in the second period and their excellent all-round performance culminated in AJ Leitch-Smith’s brilliant effort on 72 minutes sealing the points.

The big winners of the day were Rochdale who thumped Crawley Town 4-0 at The Broadfield Stadium who have now suffered four straight defeats and continue to slip alarmingly towards the bottom four. Matty Done gave Dale the lead early on when his wonderful effort found the top corner. Former Aldershot striker Peter Vincenti then added a fine quick-fire brace inside ten second-half minutes to effectively seal the points before Calvin Andrew compounded Crawley’s misery in the 76th minute. Rochdale move away from the bottom four and in to 13th.

Walsall’s failure to beat Colchester at the Banks Stadium meant they have now gone twelve games without a win as both clubs remain in the bottom four. Freddie sears went close for Colchester early on but was unlucky to see his effort come back into play off the post. Tom Bradshaw then went close for the home side but his header looped onto the bar. Both sides went close in the second period, but neither could make their chances count.


?????? ?????? ??????? ??????

Listen to the latest Iron Bru podcast

Written by Matt Blanchard

Part of the team since 2007, before becoming editor in 2013. Undertaken the role of match summariser during Scunthorpe United live match commentaries for BBC Radio Humberside. Seasonal contributor to football titles FourFourTwo and When Saturday Comes and a finalist at the Football Blogging Awards in 2014.

JPT draw details

Cotterill: Iron played back 6