Home Forums Non Football The Bonkers World of Politicians ‘Tackling Climate Change’

Bucksiron
    Participant
    Topics: 270
    Replies: 4966

Somehow or other, apparently, we’re all going to be driving electric cars and heating our homes with electricity in 15 to 20 years.

Never mind that this will require at least three times as much electrical power as now from a National Grid that’s already at full capacity and a handful of charging points across the country. Can you imagine the trip hazard of walking down the street with all those wires going across the pavement to parked cars.

In addition to that who is ever going to buy an electric car knowing that technology advances will make it virtually unsaleable within three years, while electricity will still have to be generated with fossil fuels because renewables will always require back-up and could never meet our entire energy needs even if they didn’t.

Politicians, eh, Tory or Labour they’re all as bad as each other. In 20 years people will wonder why we rushed into this so crazily instead of allowing time for sensible carbon fuel replacements to be developed.

THE-99%
    Topics: 803
    Replies: 3908

I reckon the Technology will snowball and targets will be met.
    I do have issues with the way politicians are using the stick and stick method to beat motorists with.
    Even the cheapest electric cars cost a huge premium over their fossil fuelled alternative ,this instantly precludes many /the majority from buying and owning one,also bear in mind the additional cost, 5k(based on a Prius) for a battery change which will be needed after approx. 5 years.
    The greens and others love to ban cars of an older age from towns and cities ,which is OK for huge companied wit fleets or wealthy individuals but the people cleaning their offices ,serving them food, repairing their houses etc etc are immediately disadvantaged.
    Also these politicians more often than not come from Cities with great communications and transport infrastructures and just don’t see the problems we have in small town and villages .
    Fossil fuel can be made obsolete over night but nobody wants to be wholly reliant on Nuclear,

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 235
    Replies: 10411

We have electric storage heaters in our house (no gas in village) and the unit price has risen from < 7p kWh to > 13p in the last two years, virtually doubling out heating bills.

Little incentive for going all electric at present. Ground source heat pumps anyone?

1 user thanked author for this post.

bartonscorpion
    Participant
    Topics: 134
    Replies: 2851

It is another of those hairbrained ideas of the Green party, it will make no difference what so ever if the UK did manage to meet what they are saying. I have worked all over the world, and cars and buses are belching out thick black smoke in places like Indonesia, Egypt, Thailand, Malaysia, Turkmenistan, Libya and all the other countries, does anyone else think that these countries are going to do anything at all???????, they have a job managing to feed themselves never mind go electric, in fact many live on open fires for cooking etc. China are still building many coal power plants, they these countries think of money before clean air. Britain is probably one of the cleanest places, and its size probably refresents 1% of the worlds land mass and population, MPs dreaming once again and a few do gooders seem to get their demands no whater how stupid and hairbrained they are.

Iron-awe
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 3709

Well I agree politicians do live in a bonkers world and I also think the targets for electric vehicles is massively over optimistic but they must push on with alternatives to fossil fuel power as a matter of progression. They are also developing hydrogen fuel based alternatives to work alongside electric powered vehicles and surely all progression towards new sources of cleaner energy are to be admired, despite the targets being way off IMO.

Northumbiron
    Participant

Gotta start somewhere.

Just because some turn a blind eye doesn’t mean we have to.

Fifty Pence
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 242

Electric cars on their own are not a solution to climate change, as Bucks says the electricity needs to be sourced. But the reason why I agree with pushing electric vehicles is not climate change, but cleaner air. If all vehicles were electric in urban areas (hybrid cars could use fuel in motorways and a roads) then walking, running or cycling by the road would be nicer and healthier. Especially since in this country our pavements tend to be right next to the road. Reducing the particulate matter we’re breathing in has to be a good idea. I’m not saying governments will address it correctly, but I’m glad they are trying to do something.

On a similar vein, I was in Copenhagen at the weekend and I was truck by how far behind the Danes we are in transport – the cycle network particularly was excellent – it was well maintained and safe (wide cycle lanes away from both the pavements and roads), and the public transport was also good (wide ranging, not overcrowded).

I’d much rather the government spent money on improving our overall transport network, rather than spending it all on speeding up trains between London and Birmingham.

5 users thanked author for this post.

alcazar
    Participant
    Topics: 147
    Replies: 3985

You only have to drive twenty miles off the ferry at Zeebrugge to see the money the Belgians have spent on cycle paths, with bridges over motorways that must have cost €millions.

Mind, when they get the money from the EU as nett takers, it’s a bit easier.

Deereyme66
    Participant
    Topics: 99
    Replies: 3392

So you know how the Belgians financed it then?

Northumbiron
    Participant

Chocolate and beer?

Deereyme66
    Participant

Bucks Finance Plc: Waffles

Iron-awe
    Participant

Mmmmm waffles!!!!

Deereyme66
    Participant

Sweet tooth IA?

Iron-awe
    Participant

More a result of watching too many Simpsons episodes actually DM.

Deereyme66
    Participant

Iron-awe
    Participant

Ha ha its a classic, nice one DM, love the butter stuck in the middle. Nice one Homer.

Iron-awe
    Participant
    <iframe title=”The Simpsons Homer’s Moon Waffles” src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/SO4BarQx7fI?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=”” id=”fitvid0″></iframe>

Ha ha its a classic, nice one Dm. Love the butter in the middle. Good old Homer.

Deereyme66
    Participant

What’s the betting we get told off for veering off topic?

alcazar
    Participant
    Topics: 147
    Replies: 3985

So you know how the Belgians financed it then?

Errrrr, yes, actually.
    Watched most being built, those and huge infrastructure works between Zeebrugge port and Brugge, (Bruges), we saw them progressing every visit.
    Huge signs up extolling the virtues if what they were up to, and how it was financed.
    50% or more EU.

Oh, and French new/improved road schemes do the same.

Any other questions?

Heath
    Participant
    Topics: 27
    Replies: 1579

Said before you should just post about roads and railways. Very informative and entertaining!!

You should help the Chinese chappies build our HS2. They will soon be our only friends in the world.

Take back control and give it to Cummings and the commies from China!!

Fifty Pence
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 242

Wales were net takers, but not sure the cycle infrastructure in Port Talbot is that good.

Deereyme66
    Participant

Anymore questions? Yes. I didn’t ask how much you saw it being built. I asked how you know how it was financed. ‘50% or more EU’? Mmm, that’s not a figure you’ve plucked out of thin air is it?

Deereyme66
    Participant

The fact is Alcy, you don’t actually know the financing side of what you saw being built because you don’t have access to that sort of info. But it suits your anti EU agenda to spray this folderol around

Northumbiron
    Participant

Since I retired I’ve been involved with a number of Heritage Projects in the NE.

The vast majority have had EU funding. Plus I’ve worked with Italian and Spanish archaeologists as part of EU schemes.

Ta-ta to that then eh?

Deereyme66
    Participant

That’s okay though because Boris will be funding them all from the savings. That’s got to be worthy of an Alcy muhahahha I reckon!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.