Home Forums The New Blast Furnace Portsmouth v Scunthorpe United EFL Trophy match thread

Stuart
    Topics: 32
    Replies: 175

Pre-match, during and post-match in here please.

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 235
    Replies: 10411

Could have done without this one really.

Given our injuries and suspensions it’ll be a huge ask to get to the semifinals.

All I ask is that Hurst sets the team up to win and the lads show the same character as they did at Valley Parade.

cassidystash
    Participant
    Topics: 176
    Replies: 3627

Possible team?
    Pressman
    Rowe McArdle Butler Hurst
    Hornshaw Sutton Hallam Colclough
    Miller Novak
    A fair blend of youth and experience don’t you think?

lesgeo
    Participant
    Topics: 185
    Replies: 1890

Hmm. Just a little tongue-in-cheek there Cass?

mistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 415
    Replies: 8233

Doig at centre half maybe?

mistertonmick
    Participant

With the cost cutting do you think we have given up on the Leasing Cup.

Iron-awe
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 3709

It’s a crap competition but Swann will want us to get as far as we can because he needs the extra money into the club. Will possibly field our strongest team, get beat then get beat again Saturday due to injuries, with no extra money anyway.

DarrynStampGoalMachine
    Participant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 505

Priority over the league now probably if we can get a “money spinning” Wembley trip.

Interesting to see the team I might watch it depending on the lineup.

cassidystash
    Participant

Possibly a little les – I had my eye on Saturday. I see McArdle is out so I’ll go with Mick and say Doig instead.

samways1
    Participant
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 603

I’d probably go with the following:

Watson

Bedeau
    Butler
    McGahey
    Perch

Eisa
    Sutton
    Lund
    Gilliead

McAtee
    KVV

Novak in for KVV if he’s not fit.

Depending on how many changes Pompey make, we might have a chance…

Sanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 278
    Replies: 6229

Has to be Hallam is out injured ! Jordan having no luck at all.

samways1
    Participant
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 603

Apparently Portsmouth also have an U23 game tonight, which suggests they’ll play a strong team against us.

cassidystash
    Participant

As current holders I reckon that’s a certainty.

tas
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 6

Sutton and Novak in and Van Veen on bench

Alfred
    Participant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 53

And Junior Brown’s loan extended so playing tonight.

Mr McCall
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 75

Non scoring Novak is back

2 users thanked author for this post.

cassidystash
    Participant

Colclough not involved! Proctor left soon after not making the squad on Saturday – similar outcome here?

mistertonmick
    Participant

Sounds like a good performance but as usual we get back in the game but concede practically straight away.

scunnymatt88
    Participant
    Topics: 78
    Replies: 1628

Watched it on ifollow tonight and it was a case of pompey took their chances where as we played the better football and deserved to go through. The lads can be proud of the performance we made pompey look like a very average league 2 side for the majority of the game. I thought miller should have kept his place over novak who AGAIN offered absolutely nothing and we cant afford to start games with 10 men! Im glad i dont have to sit and watch him for at least the next two games because i think paint actually dries quicker than he moves and for his experience he doesnt read the game well enough. Onwards and upwards now starting with crewe on saturday keep the intensity going in our play and the wins will come.

Smudger
    Participant
    Topics: 23
    Replies: 265

Thought we played some good stuff tonight. The difference tonight is they took there chances we didn’t. From a freezing Fratton Park up the iron.

premier iron
    Participant
    Topics: 45
    Replies: 358

Kev gets 12 minutes PATHETIC

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 235
    Replies: 10411

Cam McGeehan gets the winner – IRONIC

Iron-awe
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 3709

Kev gets 12 minutes PATHETIC

Coming back from injury on a freezing night! Think logically young man, he should be starting Saturday hopefully fully fit, which is more important IMO.

4 users thanked author for this post.

bartonscorpion
    Participant
    Topics: 134
    Replies: 2851

Watched it on ifollow tonight and it was a case of pompey took their chances where as we played the better football and deserved to go through. The lads can be proud of the performance we made pompey look like a very average league 2 side for the majority of the game. I thought miller should have kept his place over novak who AGAIN offered absolutely nothing and we cant afford to start games with 10 men! Im glad i dont have to sit and watch him for at least the next two games because i think paint actually dries quicker than he moves and for his experience he doesnt read the game well enough. Onwards and upwards now starting with crewe on saturday keep the intensity going in our play and the wins will come.

Actually Matt, if Novak is selected over KVV and McAtee in future games, I shall not bother staying to watch the game. Hust is taking the piss out of the remaining supporters by literally playing ten men instead of a full team, it said on the radio that Novak injured his ancle, or he would have remained on the pitch fpr the full game, it is not a nice thing to say, but I hope it is one of those slow recovery injuries., to give us a bloody breake.

1 user thanked author for this post.

scunnymatt88
    Participant
    Topics: 78
    Replies: 1628

I just hope we can keep building on the last two performances and i think coming up against a decent footballing side in crewe it might actually suit us. Also i have massive respect for those who went tonight it would have been nice to get the win for those who made that trip especially on freezing tuesday night.

5 users thanked author for this post.

cassidystash
    Participant

Just seen the YouTube highlights – two comments:-
    Watson still parrying into the 6 yard box, saved by McGahey. Will he ever learn?
    Second goal – poor header by McGahey, no tackle by Perch, poor marking by Brown. Any one of these done properly and they don’t score.

3 users thanked author for this post.

BigLeftToe
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 338

Watched it on iFollow and thought we were by far the better team. Always had that feeling that Portsmouth could just flick a switch and score at ease if they really wanted to though. As CT said above, both goals very very avoidable, we’re such a soft touch in defence especially with Watson in goal behind them. Yes he made a couple of good saves but it’s heart in mouth stuff whenever he’s near the ball…got charged down once as he dilly dallied on the ball, almost got the ball stuck under his feet after trying a Cruyff turn, still loves parrying relatively easy stops straight back into the danger area and probably cleared the ball straight into touch more times than keeping it on the pitch. It’s madness that we’re still yet to bring another keeper in!

3 users thanked author for this post.

bartonscorpion
    Participant
    Topics: 134
    Replies: 2851

Watched it on iFollow and thought we were by far the better team. Always had that feeling that Portsmouth could just flick a switch and score at ease if they really wanted to though. As CT said above, both goals very very avoidable, we’re such a soft touch in defence especially with Watson in goal behind them. Yes he made a couple of good saves but it’s heart in mouth stuff whenever he’s near the ball…got charged down once as he dilly dallied on the ball, almost got the ball stuck under his feet after trying a Cruyff turn, still loves parrying relatively easy stops straight back into the danger area and probably cleared the ball straight into touch more times than keeping it on the pitch. It’s madness that we’re still yet to bring another keeper in!

BigLeftToe, You are correct in your comments regarding the keeper, but why no comment about the headless chicken up front who was completely useless.

All ctrdit to those 85 supporters that made the 600 mile round trip and only to be rewarded by Hust putting Novak into the team for them, I bet they could have turned round and come home!!!!

forgotten
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 235

BS, I really think that it’s time you took a break from this board. Your obsession with Novak is starting to appear unhealthy, even managing to turn a message mainly about Watson into something about Novak.
    It may be that giving up your season ticket when Novak returns is a good thing, take a step back and come back next season, hopefully Novak will be gone by then.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.