Keymaster
    Topics: 777
    Replies: 2838

Pre match in here

mistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 381
    Replies: 6863

the team needs a refresh, and so does the formation.

Ironawe
    Participant
    Topics: 36
    Replies: 470

Got to try webster at the back. Might be time for Hallam to dry and inject some youth and dynamism. Looking desperate at the minute

1 user thanked author for this post.

Stuart
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 45

Just swap the 1st team for the U23 team. At least from the highlights I’ve seen they play with energy and attacking intent which is part of what we’re missing.

samways1
    Participant
    Topics: 27
    Replies: 535

My team would be something like:

Alnwick

Pearce
    McGahey
    Webster
    McMahon

El Mhanni
    Sutton
    Ojo
    Hammill

Hallam
    Van Veen

I think Hallam is more of an attacking midfielder than a striker but he can drop deeper and link up with the 2 wingers and KVV, similar to the Andy Keogh style (imagine if he was that good!).

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 196
    Replies: 7965

Not a bad shout Samways.

Plenty of options from the bench too with that line up (not that McCall has a great deal of success with substitutions).

Wouldn’t be averse to Hornshaw getting a run out either.

Sanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 266
    Replies: 5891

OK Samways I will go with that but do have reservation on a couple 1/. Alnwick – not convinced and 2/. Would prefer Lewis Butroid, now fully fit.

Iron-awe
    Participant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 1212

I like your selection samways1, it’s certainly different and boy do we need different just now. It also saves the rest of us from bothering with our own selections because the vibe I get on here right now is that a lot of us can’t be arsed anymore. I think it’s called apathy and is a direct result from the team and management appearing to feel the same. I hate saying this but some players performances and some management decisions come across as can’t being arsed anymore, just carry on with the same old same old. Hope I’m proved wrong bigtime.

Ex Officio
    Participant
    Topics: 28
    Replies: 599

Pointless speculating – he’ll stick with the tried and trusted formula of failure – is it his choice or is someone else pulling the strings? I can’t believe he watches the same tripe as we do and continues to persue this folly.

cassidystash
    Participant
    Topics: 150
    Replies: 2798

Some would say that restricting the opposition to 4 shots on target in 3 games justifies the tactics. I suppose that would be Stuarts stance when discussing things with the Chairman anyway.

scunnymatt88
    Participant
    Topics: 68
    Replies: 1270

I agree with alot of the above. Hallam needs to given a chance were missing creativity and a drive in midfield/attack. Perch is an over paid donkey who goes through the motions so let him stay at home. Id probably go for a team like this…

Alnwick

Mcmahon. webster. mcgahey. pearce

Hammill. Sutton. Ojo. butroid(if fit)

Novak. Hallam.

SST
    Keymaster
    Topics: 777
    Replies: 2838

Would like to see Hallam given a go.
    Unfortunately can only see a draw at best.

forgotten
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 119

A lot calling for Webster. I believe that he has only started one game so far, which was away. I listened to the match on Humberside and the guest expert (can’t remember who) commented on how slow he was.
    Are we just picking names from a hat based on a hope that (name) must be better than Burgess/Perch/Pearce/Wootton/Van Veen/etc without any knowledge? If so then how about McGahey for Perch to play just in front of the back four. Also agree with SanFran re Butroid, in my opinion Pearce is no defender.

Sanfran49
    Participant

442 and square pegs in square holes.

WonderGoals
    Participant
    Topics: 234
    Replies: 4611

I like samway’s line up, apart from van veen and Hallam up top, there would be nobody to hold and crap for the ball upfront.

Change Van Veen for Novak and I’d be behind it. That would be too positive though, and Pearce is now better than Butroid, if he’s fit I’d stick him back in there too.

Bucksiron
    Participant
    Topics: 223
    Replies: 4207

I don’t believe for one moment that Swann is influencing, or even trying to influence the manager.

I do wonder if managers try too hard to influence what happens on the pitch; and not just with us. Look at the difference between Man Utd now that Solksjaer’s given the players more licence versus Mourinho’s methods.

Are managers trying to justify their existence? Are they determined to make a system work and then can’t accept they’re failing to do so?

Must be some reason why so many go down such a similar route.

Pat O’Cake
    Participant
    Topics: 24
    Replies: 1088

I find it hard to believe that Mr Swann has influence on team/formation selection but on the other hand find it equally hard to believe that Robins, Alexander and now Mcall all play the same negative crap that simoply doesnt work so i din’t know what to belive anymore.

Pat O’Cake
    Participant
    Topics: 24
    Replies: 1088

If Mcall goes with an attacking 442 formation and takes the game to Southend I think we comfortably get 3 points, unfortunatley I doubt he will and expect more of the boring tripe witnessed on Saturday.

Cliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Topics: 17
    Replies: 498

It’s getting to the point where exciting performances can wait until August.

We just need the points

Northumbiron
    Participant

I don’t believe for one moment that Swann is influencing, or even trying to influence the manager.

You’re most probably right Bucks, and let’s face it Mr Swann seems to be more preoccupied with planning matters at the moment.

However, what I find strange is that whilst PS kept his promise of funding the January transfers several of those incoming players have hardly featured since they arrived.

Hallam and Bedeau have never been in a matchday squad and Webster has had only one run out. McGahey, Van Veen and Hammill can at best be described as bit players with only full backs McMahon and Pearce holding down a regular slot and that is mostly because of injury to Clarke and Borthwick-Jackson.

Just how many of our January signings were the manager’s choice? Not many, if any, it would appear.

forgotten
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 119

Surely Hallam and Bedeau are ‘signings for the future’ and will feature in next season’s U23 squad, at least that’s my understanding anyway.

Northumbiron
    Participant

A future in League 2?

ironking
    Participant
    Topics: 33
    Replies: 167

I remember and witnessed the Friday night 6-1 home defeat to Southend United 1983-84 season when Allan Clarke made wholesale changes!

Robbie Holden scored our goal.

A bad night at the office, and never enjoy fixtures v Southend as a result.

Bucksiron
    Participant
    Topics: 223
    Replies: 4207

Well, if Saturday’s game was big, this one’s now massive. Anything less than a win and we really are in trouble.

I’m actually hoping to make it to GP this evening.

Really looking forward to it (famous last word, eh)…

Northumbiron
    Participant

Good man Bucks!

Gonna queue up for a pie at halftime?

cokeovenkid
    Participant
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 337

My wingman is 2/10 I retired off the same shift last week. Because of the 2 for 1 offer I’m taking the old lady tonight so somebody had better perform !

IronIronIron
    Participant
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 965

My wingman is 2/10 I retired off the same shift last week. Because of the 2 for 1 offer I’m taking the old lady tonight so somebody had better perform !

I hope you don’t mean your old lady!!

Sanfran49
    Participant

Happy retirement Cokeovenkid.

Iron-awe
    Participant

If the Iron disappoint tonight cokeoven, you might be asked to perform later on by Mrs cokeoven!!!! Don’t you go letting the side down now.

Iron-awe
    Participant

Well, if Saturday’s game was big, this one’s now massive. Anything less than a win and we really are in trouble.

I’m actually hoping to make it to GP this evening.

Really looking forward to it (famous last word, eh)…

Can us peasants in the Cluggy expect a royal wave from you tonight BI?. No doubt you will be sat next to Peter wearing your white glove.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.