Home Forums The New Blast Furnace Derby day memories

billpuntonsghost
    Participant
    Topics: 477
    Replies: 3717

I was at that 7-1 defeat at Blunder Park,Les.
    We played 5 “kids”,Clemence,Barker,Welbourne,amongst them.
    Wet miserable night!
    My first ever derby was the previous year ,when David Sloan scored a hat trick in the 3-1 win.

mistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 381
    Replies: 6863

My first Scunthorpe game at Grimsby was in 1962 and Town won 3-0 and I was only an occasional visitor to Scunthorpe at the time because I followed Sunderland.

billpuntonsghost
    Participant

You’ve worked your way up then,Mick!

1 user thanked author for this post.

mistertonmick
    Participant

Don’t forget bill I have no connections to Scunthorpe, I was born in Worksop and have never lived or worked in Scunthorpe though I went to Tech College there, when I started going to Scunthorpe it could have easily have been Doncaster or Rotherham as I used to go to watch them quite a lot especially Donny who I used go with my dads brother who was a fanatic while I was still at school, also my dads sister married a Doncaster player and my granddad was great friends with the Donny manager at the time Peter Doherty who was lodging at the Packet Inn in Misterton, so how I came to watch the Iron and ditch my beloved childhood team Sunderland I don’t know.

TwoWrights
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 948

They think it’s all Rovers

Quality isn’t great but it’s worth a watch.

It’s before Richardson was convicted of burning the stand down so they only allege his involvement but the potential new owner is great too. He’s after about 6 clubs and goes to buy a Porsche because
    “If you own a football club you’ve got to have a Porsche”

I watched it earlier, Shysters Central. Richardson tried selling the land their stadium was on despite only having a lease from the council! The potential new owner was Anton Johnson, in December 1985 he was banned for life from any involvement in football. In June 1998 he was declared bankrupt, and in August 1998 he became Scarborough’s majority shareholder. I’d shake my head if it didn’t rattle inside!

It’s our time.

The views expressed in my posts are not necessarily mine.

barriethomas
    Participant
    Topics: 173
    Replies: 1138

Not a favourite but 1968 Donny away, lost 4-3 to a late goal, fighting all over the terraces, exhaust fell off Morris Minor Convertible ( split screen) on the way home. Nightmare !! UTWI

Cliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Topics: 17
    Replies: 498

Don’t forget bill I have no connections to Scunthorpe, I was born in Worksop and have never lived or worked in Scunthorpe though I went to Tech College there, when I started going to Scunthorpe it could have easily have been Doncaster or Rotherham as I used to go to watch them quite a lot especially Donny who I used go with my dads brother who was a fanatic while I was still at school, also my dads sister married a Doncaster player and my granddad was great friends with the Donny manager at the time Peter Doherty who was lodging at the Packet Inn in Misterton, so how I came to watch the Iron and ditch my beloved childhood team Sunderland I don’t know.

Out of interest Mick, what led you to supporting Scunthorpe ?

billpuntonsghost
    Participant

That 4-3 defeat at Donny,Alick Jeffrey scored the winner at the Kop end.

mistertonmick
    Participant

I used to know Alick Jeffreys daughter in my younger days bill, she used to work in our local pub, and she looked like him as well,and he was a nice bloke as well,I went in his pub once in Doncaster with workmates when I worked at Doncaster Railway Works and he loved to talk about football,but my best celebrity meet was with Charlie Williams who played with my uncle at Rovers,when my uncles son had his 21st birthday all our families went to See Charlie in Grimsby at Bunny’s Club and Charlie invited my uncle into his dressing room at the interval and I went with him and listened about their stories of life at Rovers as they reminisced.

And that 4-3 defeat I think we were winning 2-0, but then again we are used to losing to late goals.

And Cliff I think it was an awkward place to get to with public transport,so after seeing my first game with my dads mate against Plymouth in the early 60s, he followed Argyle after serving there in the Navy I thought the atmosphere with around 10000 in the OSG on a November afternoon was fantastic and seeing Barrie Thomas score 4 goals in 5-1 win got me hooked.

2 users thanked author for this post.

barriethomas
    Participant

I spoke to King Barrie yesterday on the phone, seems to be doing OK. UTWI

Deereyme66
    Participant
    Topics: 36
    Replies: 1485

‘10,000 in the OSG on a November afternoon’. Now that releases the old seratonin! What a fantastic feeling. Kids don’t know what they missed. Thanks for that Mick.

1 user thanked author for this post.

barriethomas
    Participant

11th Nov 1961 Mick, att 8,780 the other goal scored by Thorpe. Those were the days. UTWI Ano memory, Lincoln away, walking up to the ground and ‘Thommo’ was arrested to do with an incident in Scunny the previous night. It was a case of mistaken identity and he was released halfway through the first half.

mistertonmick
    Participant

and Barrie had 2 goals disallowed.

cassidystash
    Participant
    Topics: 150
    Replies: 2798

All great memories – but can you remember what you had for tea yesterday?

mistertonmick
    Participant

I can’t remember what I did 2 minutes before.

Iron-awe
    Participant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 1212

What’s this thread about?

mistertonmick
    Participant

God knows, apart from how I started watching the Iron.

inspector
    Participant
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 65

I well remember the Plymouth match. Thomas legally shoulder-charged the ‘keeper, Leiper, for one of his goals. Donny Road end, iirc.

Deereyme66
    Participant
    Topics: 36
    Replies: 1485

” ‘Thommo’ was arrested to do with an incident in Scunny the previous night. ” Sounds about right!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.