Home Forums The New Blast Furnace Building For Next Season.

lesgeo
    Participant
    Topics: 185
    Replies: 1890

We’ll need an experienced GK, preferably arriving in July not September.
    Majority of out of contract players cannot be kept.
    MacArdle – one season contract at 50% of his present one. Tek it or leave it.
    Perch – see above.
    Lund only one to be offered same terms.
    Songo’o – depends on pay demands.
    One more year on cheap terms for the improving Levi.
    Longer contracts and increases for former Shrews.
    I would envisage about eight or so more leaving by summer in addition to those already on their way out.
    Furthermore, some better players will inevitably be sold. Sigh!
    If I’m somewhere near the mark, how many decent League Two players this would allow us to bring in is anyone’s guess.

Having Lund, three shrews, Bedeau, KVV, MacGahey and maybe Songo’o and Levi would be a great nucleus. Can’t really see it, though.

Another complicating factor is how rapidly valuations must be soaring on KVV, Gilliead and Eisa. There is some very serious earning potential in those guys.

1 user thanked author for this post.

mistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 415
    Replies: 8233

Isn’t Lund still under contract.

Nothing to do with a new stand being started on then.

mistertonmick
    Participant

Regarding goalkeeper I would prefer one now.

Cliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Topics: 26
    Replies: 733

Pretty much exactly how I see it Les.

Rather than being despondent about the lack of activity, The next few months should provide an ideal opportunity to blood through some of those in the U23’s.

The real question though is how prepared Are we going to be by the time June comes around. We need a clear Transfer policy this summer; there’s a hell of a lot of deadwood being brought in during the last 2 years and it has cost us our league one position. Scunthorpe United have become an easy pay day and it’s unacceptable.

If the budget is being reduced then the coaches and scouts want to be out now identifying potential targets; it’s clear that we are missing a solid spine of the team- this will need addressing first and foremost. Following that why not look in the non league?

Iron-awe
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 3709

Think Lund is out of contract mick in the summer, would love him to stay but can’t see him taking same terms and why should he, he is far better than league two and his agent will be getting him something better I’m sure. It’s what happens to your better players when the purse strings are being tightened. Think les is pretty much on the money with his assessment.

Ironawe
    Participant
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 757

If we are cutting our cloth accordingly then we have to do similar to the back-up staff. We cannot be a comfortable mid table league two team with a CEO who is paid an equivalent salary to a £100m turnover business. I would get rid of McArdle and Perch, both big wage earners and I don’t see any value in keeping them.

Ironically blooding the U23’s would see the end of the U23’s – unless the recruitment focusses on getting more in through the U23 route.

Agree that a solid experienced keeper is a must.

2 users thanked author for this post.

mistertonmick
    Participant

Forgot Lund is out of contract I must have been thinking of Colclough who isn’t out of contract but we might sell, what are we doing with Regan Slater, I think we will get rid of the older players, of the younger players to me the one who needs to improve dramatically is Rory Watson because he is that erratic I don’t know whether he will make a league keeper or not, we have one or two who need their contracts extending before they walk away, so hopefully some will have options on them.

anoldiron
    Participant
    Topics: 33
    Replies: 570

I think utilising the U23s is a good idea so long as there is a constant feed into the bottom end.
    I well remember Adkins regularly stating when we were doing well that the average of his team was 21 so there is nothing wrong with a youthful squad.

We also have non playing staff in the building who are well versed in this type of strategy.

We just need to allow time for everything to come together, although i would agree with others if playing staff costs are been cut then surely this should be mirrored in the non playing staff.

mistertonmick
    Participant

Under Brian Laws in the early noughties we had Wilcox, Torpey and Beagrie with loads of youngsters including Stanton, Butler, and Sparrow, we struggled at first but improved when we took Paul Hayes’s scholarship over but you do need a few old heads.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Cliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Replies: 733

I guess the key thing for Hurst or any future manager will be how to determine who is ready and when to include them.

The 2 opposite ends of the spectrum are Mcatee and Watson. Personally I’d have Mcatee either starting or on the bench with a view to include for pretty much every game till the end of the season. The lad seems confident and assured on the ball and isn’t is playing with fear. That goal against Bradford truly was excellent.

On the other hand you have Watson who was thrusted into a side devoid of confidence last year and still looks to be suffering with some form of shell shock. I mean the lad can’t kick a ball straight, that’s nothing to do with ability, it’s simply in his head. For what it’s worth I believe there’s a solid keeper in there somewhere, however I don’t think we will see his best years at GP.

Ferrite
    Participant
    Topics: 166
    Replies: 2272

I wonder if there are any players with automatic renewal clauses? I seem to recall Novak’s contract was renewed based on his number of appearances last season. I wonder if we might see more established players being left out later in the season to avoid triggering automatic contract renewals.

Sanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 279
    Replies: 6229

By bringing in the present U23s will not end the U23s, we have our U18s who could take some of the places created and any others we may be scouting at present.

But does Mr Hurst have any faith in them ? When you read his comments which are not what you would say very motivating !!

“Some have come in and done well but some are not ready to play” then you get ” I don’t want to be giving people opportunities that don’t deserve it. That is not being too harsh on the players it is just the reality of it” .

Without a wealthy benefactor who is quite happy buying a new squad on a rotational basis then we have to bring through more of our own and younger players at that. So lets start motivating.

Iron-awe
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 3709

It must be a very difficult decision when to blood a young player in the first team, lots of things have to be considered. I can understand a supporter watching the U23’s on a regular basis and announcing on here that a certain player looks ready and should be given his chance but that is not a professional opinion just an amateur one. A manager who has played the game professionally and managed professionally too looks at all aspects of what he sees in training and how these young players match up physically against experienced pros and how their temperament holds up in these situations. We all like to see young players given a chance and we know they will make mistakes once they are given that chance but the moment of actually knowing when they are ready is a big call and that’s why you employ a manager, we might not agree with him but surely he is better qualified to judge?

MK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 177

and we are particularly supportive of young players on here even when they make a mistake.
    Watson, Sutton, Wootton, Miller, Slater come to mind.

Sanfran excepted you can count positive posts on one hand.

cassidystash
    Participant
    Topics: 176
    Replies: 3627

Sadly not much to be positive about with that selection. It’s a question of standards I suppose, and opinions naturally! Nobody expects a youngster to be the finished article but expecting basic skills is surely not too much to ask. Similarly if there is no discernable improvement after a reasonable number of games then an air of negativity is inevitable IMO.

BigLeftToe
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 338

I mean the lad can’t kick a ball straight, that’s nothing to do with ability, it’s simply in his head.

When he hasn’t been able to kick a ball straight for his entire professional career, then I’d most definitely call that a lack of ability!

DarrynStampGoalMachine
    Participant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 505

and we are particularly supportive of young players on here even when they make a mistake.
    Watson, Sutton, Wootton, Miller, Slater come to mind.

Sanfran excepted you can count positive posts on one hand.

What about McAtee and Beadeau? They get support, people want to see them in the team because they’ve shown something and look like they might become good players.

I’ve not seen enough of Slater to comment, Miller hasn’t had a lot of opportunity but from the bits I’ve seen he’s not up to it.

The other 3? Seen more than enough to know. Watson and Sutton in particular it’s not that they make “a mistake” it’s when they make the same mistake week after week and never seem to learn.
    Neither are teenagers with a handful of games behind them, the line has to be drawn eventually.

marty303
    Participant
    Replies: 155

If Peter waits till the summer I hope he as learnt lessons from last year and dosent wait till September till he get all the players in. All players need to be in before preseason fingers crossed or we will be same as this year

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.