Home Forums Non Football Black Britons know why Meghan wants out

BobbyGmeister
    Participant
    Topics: 295
    Replies: 3034

I see the old “should we abolish the monarchy” issue has raised its head again.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-leadership-monarchy-prince-harry-meghan-markle-clive-lewis-referendum-a9278096.html?amp

How would you vote?

More fake news NI…

Deereyme66
    Participant
    Topics: 89
    Replies: 3022

Right there Heath.

Back on topic, there was an older woman on ‘Any Questions?’ yesterday who seemed fixated with the main problem with all this being Meghan ‘the actress’. Don’t know if anyone could work out why she thought this was the problem, I couldn’t. When asked why she just said, ‘because she’s an actress, three exclamation marks!!!’. Odd, lurking in the background no doubt was a hefty dollop of racism. Sounded like she was dying to say it but knew she wasn’t allowed.

Gurnelista
    Participant
    Topics: 44
    Replies: 928

They still haven’t forgiven Wallis Simpson!

Aye, for running off with our decent, respectable, nazi-sympathising monarch!

1 user thanked author for this post.

Gurnelista
    Participant

Aye, Heathy and DM, both right there.

It’s also common to find folk talking about the royals as if they actually know them. You don’t have to go far to read in the media and on here the bitchy comments about things as superficial as Meghan’s clothes, looks, manner, and so on, not to mention her film work, her nationality, her divorce, her background, and of course, her skin colour. ‘Black’, they say!!!!

So, it’s really no surprise that she and Harry want out. Remember too, that as a young kid Harry was forced to walk behind his mother’s coffin with the eyes of the world staring down. He knows very well how nasty things could get in Britain for his wife, especially in the current climate, and is understandably determined to do everything he can to protect her from it.

Meanwhile, the public and press rage on, angry with them when they’re here, and angry that they’re going when they should be here. The usual double standards.

THE-99%
    Topics: 784
    Replies: 3816

I find it bizzarre these personalities are so polarizing when,I’d wager, not one person on this site or the box pops we see on TV has ever met them outside of a highly controlled meet and greet session in which she does her royal smiley duty .
    Everyone of these people is reacting to what they have been told about them by the press or their pers based on rumour and “insider” sources.
    I find it funny some think wearing designer clothing is lamentable ,surely just jealous because she’s rich?

Gurnelista
    Participant

Yep, and if she wears tops from M&S, she’s cheap, unroyal and probably taking backhanders from the company.
    I’m no fan of royal PR / websites but theirs is worth a look just to get their side of the story.

https://sussexroyal.com/

BloodyRubbishIron
    Participant
    Topics: 21
    Replies: 1447

Right there Heath.

Back on topic, there was an older woman on ‘Any Questions?’ yesterday who seemed fixated with the main problem with all this being Meghan ‘the actress’. Don’t know if anyone could work out why she thought this was the problem, I couldn’t. When asked why she just said, ‘because she’s an actress, three exclamation marks!!!’. Odd, lurking in the background no doubt was a hefty dollop of racism. Sounded like she was dying to say it but knew she wasn’t allowed.

To be fair, she is at odds with royal tradition because she’s American and from showbiz, not some well-to-do British family mired in the traditions of the upper classes and those aspiring to be upper class. This will upset the apple cart for some, so her actress background will be seen as negative for many who look upon royalty with a traditional lens. There’d be a stir among some if Harry had married Scarlett Johansson.

This is not me denying that there is a racial element to the dislike, but it is likely to be intertwined with classism and it may be hard to separate between these motivations for dislike.

Regardless, it seems absured that the ire directed at Meghan eclipses that of Prince Andrew, given his questionable actions and behaviour which is far more worrying and damaging to the reputation of the royalty.

Deereyme66
    Participant

‘Regardless, it seems absured that the ire directed at Meghan eclipses that of Prince Andrew, given his questionable actions and behaviour which is far more worrying and damaging to the reputation of the royalty.’

That is one massive can of worms BRI.

Bucksiron
    Participant
    Topics: 267
    Replies: 4884

Makes me laugh how you all pour scorn on me when I see your comments. Absolutely hilarious, quite frankly. You might take each other seriously but I doubt many others will be doing. Does it never occur to any of you that none of this might actually have anything to do with the colour of her skin? At least for the vast majority of people — there will always be a few who are, indeed, racist.

Everything in your lives is driven by political bias. The entire world is, forgive the pun, black and white with all of you being perfect little angels while those who might disagree are evil, nasty right wing racist thugs. it really is extraordinary.

Anyway, can you imagine what would have happened if she’d been Jewish?

Fifty Pence
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 224

Racism isn’t necessarily a political persuasion issue, it’s largely a issue of ignorance. However, the political slant is that racist, royalist and right wing leanings all embrace nationalism and therefore find common ground and tend to attract each other.

White, English, Christian, middle class, heterosexual men (including myself (excluding the religious part)) are largely ignorant of the bigotry that goes on in this country. But speak to people outside of this demographic and you start to appreciate the other side of the Meghan question.

Iron-awe
    Participant
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 3425

Glad you are having a laugh Buck’s, your somber mood must be lifting which is of course good news. I always laugh a lot when when I read your posts they are without doubt some of the most hilarious pieces of writing that appear on this site, thanks for giving me many hours of mirth over the last couple of years. I always thought your type of person was just about extinct but it’s so amusing to know a few are still kicking about, right I’m off to rest my ribs.

Heath
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 1504

“You might take each other seriously but I doubt many others will be doing”.

Who are these others?? The mythical crowd applauding you from the Bru ether intoxicated on your wit and deep knowledge on everything?

Bucksiron
    Participant

I’ll leave you to work that out, Heath, but it’s rather more than you might imagine.

I’m very happy that you find my posts so comical, IA, though given your response to the majority of comments on this boards I don’t seem to be alone.

Iron-awe
    Participant

So you want Heathy to work out your own statement because you cant? Sounds about right from a PR guru, put something out then run away when questioned.

Heath
    Participant

“I’ll leave you to work that out, Heath, but it’s rather more than you might imagine”.

You know them ALL do you or is there a secret Bucks appreciation society with more than one member (the aptly named BS)?

Deereyme66
    Participant

‘it’s rather more than you might imagine.’

Made me laugh anyway. It’s classic Bucks Partridge.

Here’s one for JI, I think Bucks is really Steve Coogan. He comes on here to test new material.

Bucksiron
    Participant

You’re all such geniuses I thought you’d know how this stuff works. Being a PR guru I know exactly how it works, IA, but you carry on with the smug comments. All fine by me.

TwoWrights
    Participant
    Topics: 24
    Replies: 1477

‘it’s rather more than you might imagine.’

Made me laugh anyway. It’s classic Bucks Partridge.

Here’s one for JI, I think Bucks is really Steve Coogan. He comes on here to test new material.

BI is actually Craig Murray, the actor on the Plusnet advert, as he’s seen, watched, read and posted the whole of the internet. 😋

It’s our time.

THE-99%

Greylag
    Participant
    Topics: 69
    Replies: 761

A new son/daughter-in-law becomes part of an old fashioned, traditional, powerful family. He/she has “modern” ideas which do not sit well with the group he/she has joined. Surely this is a scene played out all over the world. A newcomer shakes the traditionalist tree and the fall-out is uncomfortable for the clan
    Meghan has nothing wrong, cut her some slack.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 230
    Replies: 10083

an old fashioned, traditional, powerful family.

Powerful only in the sense that they have money. Politically they are toothless.

Since entering the 21st century the Royal Family has become a bit of a soap opera, and that is what we are seeing acted out in the tabloids.

Deereyme66
    Participant

I’ve always thought that Kate was more sophisticated. I reckon Meghan should grow up a bit to be honest. Anyone who disagrees is quite simply a snowflake because I read it in the Mail and the Mail is always right.

Iron-awe
    Participant

Powerful only in the sense that they have money. Politically they are toothless.

Since entering the 21st century the Royal Family has become a bit of a soap opera, and that is what we are seeing acted out in the tabloids.

Their power of popularity, supported by a sophisticated PR machine and support of the right wing press, is looking a little shaky at the moment. Prince Andrews questionable lifestyle and Harry and Meghan kicking down the traditional doors of the role of monarchy are making the establishment look very nervous. This is all good in the name of progress of a forward thinking
    nation , once the Queen dies I believe there will be a new reality dawning on the monarchy and I hope it signals the begin of their end and that of the establishment.

Bucksiron
    Participant

Well it was only a few months ago that the Tories were finished and you were all laughing about Boris being PM. After all he was only going to last a few weeks and Brexit wasn’t going to happen.

Now, apparently, the Royal Family’s about to disappear. Not that it really matters because the world will either have burnt up or be under water in 11 years and 9 months, or however long it now is before we’re all doomed.

Forgive me for not taking you too seriously.

Heath
    Participant

Will you be still bleating on here?

Iron-awe
    Participant

Don’t think the Royals are about to disappear indeed I haven’t seen that statement quoted but when the Queen shuffles off and Harry and Meghan have established their own life in their own way then the cracks that are appearing now will widen and overtime the monarchy will become less popular and become less relevant. Once that happens, that’s when the calls for them to go will increase and gather popularity. Just my opinion, we can do without them in a modern society and save a lot of money in the process.

Fifty Pence
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 224

If Charles follows his mother’s approach of being a figurehead who doesn’t get involved in politics, I don’t see the monarchy disappearing any time soon.

THE-99%

We can but hope

Deereyme66
    Participant

Have I missed something? Did anyone say the Royal Family is about to disappear?

Bucksiron
    Participant

I never claimed anyone said anything, Deerey. I simply used a figure of speech to make a point.

As for Meghan and Harry I’m afraid things are going to get a whole lot worse and most of it could have been avoided. The problem is that if you use the media when it suits you — remember all that stuff around the wedding and the ‘baby shower’ or whatever it was — don’t be surprised if they bite back when it doesn’t. They were incredibly naive to sue the Mail and now all sorts of stuff is going to come out, which the paper can legitimately claim is needed to support their defence.

Harry of all people should have known that doing what they did would only lead to more revelations and that’s now what’s very likely to happen. Also, of course, it’s very risky for people in the public eye to start preaching to others what they should and shouldn’t be doing, in this case regarding climate change. I don’t know how many transatlantic flights they must both have made already, to say nothing of the entourage that accompanies them, but it’s going to be a lot; and after they’ve made themselves out to be paragons of virtue on the environmental front this just adds to a sense of hypocrisy.

No, forget whether Meghan’s black or white — and I don’t think this has made any difference from the media perspective — her actions have just added to the media storm she claims she doesn’t want. They’ve both been poorly advised and done nothing to help themselves, I’m afraid.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.